Possible PSU Failure?

Soldato
Hey guys,

In the past week or so my PC has been misbehaving quite a bit :(

It’s been restarting pretty much when it feels like it? Once or twice every few days or so?

I’ve narrowed it down to my (New at Xmas) PSU, it’s the only thing it can be right? The other thing I thought it might be was my RAM, but I ran memtest+ the other night for 12 hours and it was fine, no errors?

So, back to my PSU? Here’s my latest readings, and by watching them it would seem that the +5v is very erratic – it frequently drops below 2.12v in just seconds?

untitled8ob.jpg

Is that the cause of my problem? Nothing else has changed in my system, see spec bellow.

Cheers,

SW.

Man of Honour
You should be able to get your PSU replaced under warranty if it is indeed dropping it's rails like that. You could try checking with a multimeter if you have one to see if the voltages are being reported correctly.

Soldato
Before doing anything I'd do what semi-pro suggested and test it with a multimeter. If you haven't got one already you can pick them up for ~£5 from various places.

It's very easy to monitor the +5v rail as you just have to take a molex from the PSU and connect up the red and black cables to the multimeter.

Soldato
OP
Wow, thanks for the responce guys :D

I've got a multimeter so I'll probably give that a try first - but looking at the 5v rail now it's, 2.85v, and that can't be right?

I'll also have a look in the BIOS because that can display my rails too can't it?

It’s a Enermax, so I should be okay for a RMA? Anyone had any experience with their procedures? Do I get in touch with them direct or get in contact with my supplier :rolleyes:

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
It's not uncommon for software readings to be a bit out, including in the BIOS. In Windows my 12v rail is something like 11.8, in bios it's 12.2 and on multimeter 12.4.

It's up to you who you go through, I think Enermax have a direct RMA service but if you want to go with the retailer they have to sort it for you if you bought it <12months ago.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Just an update, my machines been on and fine all day? the 5v rail has been up and down the whole time though? But then I just went to play CoD and I got a restart :(

I'm going to start an RMA off tomorrow with the supplier, it's annoying, I bought the Enermax on the strength that they never go wrong...

It's lasted 3 months I suppose :rolleyes:

SW.

Soldato
OP
I got as far as taking the side of the case off, then I realised I didn't actually know what to do :eek:

I haven't used one of these things since high school...

Any chance of some brief instructions Phil99?

Cheers,

SW.

Back
Top Bottom