• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PowerColor X800 XT and noise

Soldato
I was wondering if anyone here has any thoughts on how to make the fan a little quieter. It seems to be making a little too much noise when idle. I don't mind if it makes a lot of noise when under load, but it is in a Shuttle (SN95G5 v1), so a noiseless idle PC is important.

I was wondering if people had any tips. Would something as simple as WD40 etc help? I just thought I would ask the experts. :) Thanks!

CD

Associate
Hav you tried turning the fan speed down on idle using ati tray tools or ati tools? other then that there's not a lot you can do unless you get a Zalman cooler.

Associate
dale1uk said:
Hav you tried turning the fan speed down on idle using ati tray tools or ati tools? other then that there's not a lot you can do unless you get a Zalman cooler.

Not much more to say, Dale has it covered.

Zeph.

Soldato
OP
The fan does slow down a lot when idle, and it becomes fairly quiet. The trouble is, I don't think the Zalman would fit in my Shuttle. I just do like quiet gfx cards. Noise is fine when gaming, but when it aint doing much, it would be good to be quiet (the rest of my shuttle is real quiet).

I might have to give the tools a look, see if I can't slow it down slightly.

Associate
ati tray tools give you the option to change the fan speeds from 0-100% at any set temps so depending on what temp your happy with at idle you could slow it down to say for example 5% when its below 50'c.

Soldato
Sorry to butt in - but can the Zalman cooler be used to replace the stock fan then? Mine has just started to sound as if it's dying. If so any recommendations?

Last edited:
Associate
firstborn said:
Sorry to butt in - but can the Zalman cooler be used to replace the stock fan then? Mine has just started to sound as if it's dying. If so any recommendations?

yep the Zalman will fit straight on after the removal of the stock heatsink. At the moment the zf700cu is the best all rounder, the Zalman FS-V7 Fatal1ty will cool better, but will be louder.
Might be worth waiting a week or so as the new Zalman vf900 is due out and will probably be even better still!!

Back
Top Bottom