help setting up mixed network

Associate
adsl based

router is netgear dg834g (already have this)

i need to get at least an 8 port 10/100 switch, have the ability to stick in 3 or 4 network cameras (will a PoE switch work with network cameras??)

and have the ability to run 50m of cat5 cable to another area and have a wireless AP here

will dg834g>switch>50m run cable>netgear602 wireless AP work ok? - with respect to the wireless signal from the adsl router not interfering with the wireless from the AP? (there are two separate areas that require wireless access, but the signal won't reach from the dg834g on its own)

any advice re hardware appreciated

thanks

Associate
OP
is it possible to get the same wireless network settings for both so that dg834g wireless is the same as the wireless in the AP so that i could take my laptop down the 50m to where the AP is and still have internet/network camera access using the same settings that i use beside the router i.e. all part of the same network

Soldato
fluiduk said:
That should be fine, just means setting up 2 wireless networks with different ssids and encryption. Does your ap support wireless extender mode?

No it doesn't need two different networks.

I have 4 access points all with the same SSID here (Home WiFi), running on differing channels with the same WPA key. It means that wireless devices automatically roam on to the strongest signal.

You don't need repeater mode or anything special, this is a mix of Apple Airport Extreme base stations, and Linksys WAP54G's/WRT54GS's connected by Ethernet.

Associate
at a 50m range. Your netgear won't interfere with the AP. It's range isn't that good :p
as long as your all in the smae SSID then it shouldn't matter which you connect to, and if your set to select the strongest signal then bobs your uncle really.

Back
Top Bottom