Dual Gigabit and DHCP

Associate
My mobo is ASUS A8N32 with Dual Gigabit and when I tried to set up my ADSL connection in DHCP mode it didn't work but in NAT mode it did. I don't know much about Network Configs but have a feeling this has something to do with Dual Gigabit as the 1st port acts as the main source and the 2nd is used to share the connection. Tried to disabled the 2nd port in bios as well but it still didn't work in DHCP, is there any way I can make it work?
If I completely disable the on-board LAN and buy a PCI Adapter like this (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Network_adapters.html) can I set up my connection in DHCP?

Many thanks.

Associate
OP
I don't share my connection with any other computer, hence DHCP. I always used DHCP on my old Abit IC7-G (it has a single Intel LAN adaptor) as I use P2P and in NAT mode it limits the resources. Just upgraded to Asus A8N32 and realised I can't connect in DHCP anymore :( . Any ideas?

Current setup:

Pipex Solo 2000
Alcatel Speedtouch 570 (ADSL Wireless Router + RJ45 LAN)

Soldato
What are you talking about exactly?

You use Pipex, therefore you'll (most likely) only have a single IP address, and therefore must use NAT to share the connection.

DHCP distributes IP addresses and is nothing to do with NAT?

Soldato
Very confusing posts - sorry OP, but I believe you are getting a few terms mixed up and hence aren't making a great deal of sense.
Time to fire up MS Paint I think and draw that network out....

Associate
My mobo is ASUS A8N32 with Dual Gigabit and when I tried to set up my ADSL connection in DHCP mode it didn't work but in NAT mode it did
I agree with those above, NAT is to do with WAN addressing and DHCP that you control is entirely LAN based. What you ideally want is NAT and DHCP. Nat allows you to have one public IP used by many private IPs. Basically it's the whole reason you have the router in the first place. DHCP automatically gived attached NICs a Private IP address.
If you have DHCP on and you have given your NICs static IPs then your net may not work. Similarly connecting 2 NICs and turning NAT off won't work.
I don't entirely understand why your using Dual gigabit anyway? it gains you nothing over single gigabit.
Enable NAT, DHCP on, only plug in the one Ethernet port on your PC, set ip settings to obtain DNS and IP automatically. If those bits of info are entered in your router's DHCP config too, you should have no troubles.

Back
Top Bottom