Converting avi to burn onto DVD?

Associate
I have got some avi files that i want to be able to burn onto a DVD and play it through my DVD player. What is he best way to do this?

Cheers

Associate
Don't you find that one step tools are a bit lacking?

Quick to deliver a solution, yet not as refined as using a multi-step process to get the best from your source.

Soldato
ScoobyDoo said:
There are quite a few ones out there but not many free ones. I've also had good results with DVDSanta which will convert avi,xvid's etc to DVD.
Using DVDSanta here and whilst it is nice and simple, I am now wishing it had some extra features like being able to create a simple DVD menu. Hopefully you can tell me that it can and I am just being a noob!

Associate
Mainconcept is good and fast - DVD Author is very efficient as long as you don't mind relatively simple menus.

Also with simple menus is Womble MPEG DVD Wizard - the AVI can be dropped into that and converted with precision cuts to MPEG-2 and saved directly to DVD.

Associate
I'd agree that TMPGenc is the fastest low cost (free in certain cases) transcoder available, but it's features for cropping etc are a bit limited when compared to Womble MPEG Wizard.

Soldato
Its not a lack of cropping features. Its the fact the features arnt easy to use. There are crop functions, but they require almost programmer like knowledge to use! :p
Past the basic feature set, the advanced stuff is a pain to use.

Associate
Agreed - thats why I use MPEG Video Wizard - the latest version has TMPGenc DVD Author like features so I can make DVD's with frame precision editing all in one package.

Soldato
winavi is the only way i'd bother doing this, takes about 15 minutes in total from starting the program to having a disc ready. If you plan on doing this a lot though, then you'd probably be better off buying a divx compatible dvd player which are available cheaply now.

Associate
Winavi is the fast food equivalent of the multiple stage process and gives acceptable results.

If you need/desire the best results from your source or it needs restoration then individual tools are the only way to achieve success.

Back
Top Bottom