Are Orange really not interested in keeping customers?

Man of Honour
So i'm at the end of my contract with Orange after 2 years with them. My flat mate has just been given a tarriff from O2 which is:

200 mins (xnet any time) and 200 texts = £20 / month

so i called orange to see if i can upgrade my tarriff to get something like this since at the moment im on 120 mins and 90 texts for £19. Orange just don't seem concerned about keeping a customer and tell me they cannot match this tarriff and can't really even get close.

What's the deal with this? Why don't they seem to care? has anyone had any luck haggling with Orange at all?

Associate
What department did you speak to?

Orange are trying to retain exisiting customers, but at the end of the day they cant give things away for free if they are not getting their moneys worth from you. I know that sounds bad, but at the end of the day thats the nature of business.

Aaron

Man of Honour
OP
i tried the "leaving orange" option a couple of times, and also the "upgrade your price plan" option. shame, as im happy with orange, but they seem very reluctant to help

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I had a similar thing when I cancelled.
Personally I wasn't too bothered because I figure it's their loss (albeit a small one for just me) as I'll just take my business and PAC code elsewhere and get a better deal.

Have a look at T Mobile if you're thinking of switching, they've got new deals which are very good. http://www.tmobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_flext_get&chosenPricePlan=pmt for details. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Can i just say before you switch test that network in your Own area.
I switched to 02 and got no service in my house and very poor in my area.
Orange for me may be more expensive but the nationwide coverage is the best in my opinion.
You get what you pay for perhaps.

Soldato
It's more than likely because you're only spending £19 a month. There's having customers and then there's having good customers. Customers that don't make you money aren't worth having, and it's bad business sense to try and keep hold of them with better offers meaning you make even less money from them.

Associate
You have hit the nail on the head there desmo!

Orange have to take into account your spending and work whehter or not it is worth giving you what you want, obviously they have decided it isnt in this case.

Try asking for the retentions department and see if they can help. Although if your spending is low it isnt likely.

Aaron

Man of Honour
OP
yeah ive just spoken to retentions, said pretty much the same thing. Seems stupid really, when i can get something much better form Vodafone for instance (125 mins / 250 texts = £20) but hey.....

Soldato
its all about your value to them, I imagine theres hardly any profit in people on 20quid a month tariffs that don't spend anything on top of it, but someone on a 40quid tariff and spending 50 on top of that is a good customer to have.

they've had you for 12 months so they know your spending pattern and make you an offer based on that.

good system for me though, as i always get great upgrade deals as i spend far too much on my mobile with o2

Soldato
As I've said in a few similar threads to this - around 5 months ago I left Orange after being with them for about 12 years.
They could have kept me by simply selling me a W800i for the same price a brand new Orange customer could get one.
Failing that, by allowing me to upgrade to the tariff that meant a new customer would get it nice and cheap.
Unfortunately Orange looked at my spending for the past 12 months and basically decided I wasn't worth it - at the end of the day I wasn't!!

So I moved to O2, paid £4.99 for my W800i, transferred my phone number over and I'm now paying exactly the same each month however I get free texts - something that was an add-on bundle with Orange.
I then bought a £1 PAYG Orange SIM so I've still got Orange Wednesdays - the one feature that could have kept me with Orange (as we use this at least twice a month and save £6.20 each time we go).
If Orange stopped giving Orange Wedesday's to PAYG customers they would have kept me.

Man of Honour
OP
it's crazy isn't it! sounds like im in the same position as stoofa really. I may very well be a "crap customer" as Desmo puts it :)p) but at least i am a customer! :) I'm now looking at O2 and i dont really want to stay with Orange now out of principle. They wont even offer me a phone upgrade for free (on the model i want, the C600) even though it would be free if i was a new customer! now that is bad imo....

Soldato
Baddass said:
it's crazy isn't it! sounds like im in the same position as stoofa really. I may very well be a "crap customer" as Desmo puts it :)p) but at least i am a customer! :) I'm now looking at O2 and i dont really want to stay with Orange now out of principle. They wont even offer me a phone upgrade for free (on the model i want, the C600) even though it would be free if i was a new customer! now that is bad imo....
Ring 343, and they should match any deal offered to new customers, to any current customer, if not, argue until they do :)

Man of Honour
Basher said:
Ring 343, and they should match any deal offered to new customers, to any current customer, if not, argue until they do :)

Not on handsets... That line (our customers first) relates to the 18 month contract option of matching new customer tarriff offers.

Associate
whenever ive been into the orange shop in hanley, stoke with similar issues i.e. can you match this deal, they say well go there then (i.e. the other place)

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
valerian said:
whenever ive been into the orange shop in hanley, stoke with similar issues i.e. can you match this deal, they say well go there then (i.e. the other place)
They can;'t be very keen to earn commission :/

Back
Top Bottom