PWM IC overheating on a DFI Ultra-D?

rik

rik

Associate
Just changed the stock heatpipe AMD cooler that comes with the Opteron 170 for a mates XP120 to reduce noise a little. CPU temps in smartguardian have not really changed, which does'nt surprise me as they were struggling to go over 40 anyway.
The problem is the PWMIC temperature is going over 60 and shutting down the board. I can change this threshold, but it never got this high before.
The chip is running 260x10 at standard volts, which it has been since day one.
Surely the XP120 would increase the cooling over the PWMIC area???
Is this a bad temp, how should I attempt to remedy it??
All advice appreciated!!#

PS the 120 is only running at the slowest speed (antec fan) but as the CPU temp has'nt changed I don't think that that is the problem. :confused:

Soldato
mine goes upto about 70 when i have my rad fan on the lowest setting. i think i may have to put a little fan over the top of it too.

any chance you should show a pic of how you've positioned your fan apehx?

Associate
Mekrel said:
That fan isn't blowing over the PWMIC though, you have it pointing over the mosfets. I thought the PWMIC was the rectangle chip next to the 4pin 12v line?

Is it? Lol, well I stuck the fan there as I felt the most heat there. The temps go down though :confused:

rik

rik

Associate
OP
Cheers guys!!!
Did a bit of erm...cable management last night and turned up my chip antec and case antec 120 fans to the medium position.
Result...temp now does'nt go above 50 even under full load!!!

Guess I'm just a messy get. So top tip for anyone overheating the PWMIC - tidy up your case, you might surprise yourself :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom