Car written off/buy back price?

Associate
Hi all :) my pride and joy was written off last week it's 205gti 1.9 1992 95000 miles and it was in very good condition had it for nearly five years,now the insurance say it will cost £1600 to repair and i've got it insured for £1700 the engineer rung and offered me £900 :mad: which i politely said NO it's worth £1700 all day long but the thing that got me was the price to buy it back £700 now does that sound right? what would you do, never had a car written off before are they taking me for a ride, any help appreciated!!

Associate
Get on autotrader and print out prices on similar cars and present this to the insurance company.

A quick scan indicates that £900 is a **** take first offer.

If they don't cough up you can take it to an independent ombudsman, but generally when hit with the evidence they'll collapse fairly quickly, good luck ;)

Permabanned
whats the damage on it?

do not accept 900 if you had an agreed value of 1700.

£700 buy back price is BS, total utter BS. it should be more like £50-200, depending on the damage.

Associate
OP
Been looking on internet and with the mileage and condition they fetch up to £2000 will print some out it's the buy back price £700 seems very expensive was expecting about £150.

Caporegime
My cousins Rover coup got written off, £1600 payout to take the car away and £1450 payout and he keeps it.

Obviously he kept it as its worth a lot more than £150 in parts.

Is the claim against someone who hit you? Or are you claiming off your own policy, this makes a big difference in how much you can give them grief

Associate
DingleBerry said:
They are an insurance company...their reason for existance is taking you for a ride. Interpret every sentence which passes their lips with the fact they are trying to screw you over in mind.

lol so true.

Associate
OP
The damage is bonnett,wing,bumper,front valance,headlight,indicator and then all the strips,the car hit the offside front corner so it's pushed it right in so quite a bit of damage probably get it repaired for about £800 ish.

Soldato
Noo! :(

Glad you told them to stuff their offer, keep telling them to unless they give you a decent offer.

I had my 205 1.4 GT written off recently because a van smashed into the back of me. The insurance company offered me £545 and I only paid £450 for it so I accepted. They didn't want to take the car away for some reason so in the end I sold it to Westy :p

Man of Honour
chopchop said:
do not accept 900 if you had an agreed value of 1700.

Entering a value of, say, £1700 when you insure the car is NOT the same as an agreed value policy.

Agreed value policies will have a certificate or something saying what the agreed value is, and you'll get this in the event of any writeoff.

Do not confuse such a policy, which you usually pay extra for, for the insurer having asked the value of the car when you took out the policy. It's NOT the same thing.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Entering a value of, say, £1700 when you insure the car is NOT the same as an agreed value policy.

Agreed value policies will have a certificate or something saying what the agreed value is, and you'll get this in the event of any writeoff.

Do not confuse such a policy, which you usually pay extra for, for the insurer having asked the value of the car when you took out the policy. It's NOT the same thing.

Yeah and sometimes it entails someone coming to inspect the vehicle before hand

Don
[TW]Fox said:

yes , usually when you take out the policy and they ask you for value they then tell you that any payout will be at market value

what is the car btw ?

Associate
OP
In the condition mine was in £1700-£2000 but really mint ones i've seen go for £3000-£4000 :) any ideas why the buy back of my car is so much most people i've spoke to say about £150 not £700.

Soldato
Lt Goody said:
In the condition mine was in £1700-£2000 but really mint ones i've seen go for £3000-£4000 :) any ideas why the buy back of my car is so much most people i've spoke to say about £150 not £700.

No way in a million years would anyone with a 205 GTi get £3-4k from an insurance company!!

Back
Top Bottom