Pic Of The Day 28th March

Soldato
Todays pic is a case of it's posted for sheer beauty; my own reaction on first viewing this piccy was WOW. :)

v838mon_hst_dec.jpg

Light Echoes from V838 Mon

Nominated for most mysterious star in the Milky Way, V838 Monocerotis briefly became one of the brightest stars in our galaxy. Its outburst discovered in January 2002, observations have indicated that V838 Mon somehow transformed itself over a period of months from a small under-luminous star a little hotter than the Sun, to a highly-luminous, cool supergiant star -- defying the conventional understanding of erupting stars and stellar life cycles. In this spectacular image, one of a series recorded last year by the Hubble Space Telescope, the dimmed V838 Mon is surrounded by an "expanding" nebula. But the nebula is actually a series of light echoes from formerly unseen shells of dust up to light-years in diameter. Previously ejected, the intricate shells progressively reflect light as it reaches them from V838 Mon's outbursts. Astronomers anticipate that light echoes from farther out in the dust envelope will continue to be visible until about 2010. Some estimates now place V838 Mon about 20,000 light-years from planet Earth.

Credit: H. Bond (STScI), A. Henden (USNO Flagstaff), Z. Levay (STScI), et al., ESA, NASA

A larger version of this piccy can be found here, this is a 276K Jpeg image.

Previous Pic Of The Day posts

26th Mar 03
22nd Mar 03
21st Mar 03
20th Mar 03
19th Mar 03Courtesy of Mark G
18th Mar 03
17th Mar 03

Permabanned
Now that IS immaculate, shades of the cartwheel nebula in my siggy. Hope ET didn't push the wrong button. Defo pic of the year. Needs a 10* rating.

Keep up the good work

Associate
WOW for sure, excellent pic Mark. Ive starred at it for ages in amazement.

And while in my tracne like state i noticed a couple of things in it, if you bloo it up and rotate it, I can see a cow playing a piano and ET himself ;)

ET

ET.jpg

Musical Cow

cow.jpg

I still cant find Waldo though :D

Back
Top Bottom