First SLR

Associate
Im currently using a very basic olympus C-450 Z (5.8-17.4mm) which must be about 3yr old its a compact digital camera with 4megapixel resolution, which has served me well and is great for flinging in my pocket for holidays, hill walking etc. However during a recent art project at school i discovered it was seriously strugling with some macro shots i was trying and the autofocus was driving me nuts on some I was taking in a local marsh.

So im thinking I might get a DSLR, would be my first slr and my buget wouldnt stretch to much but I really just looking for some opinions on what might be the best option for me? looking at around the £500-600 mark for a body and lens any advice? I have quite a limmited knowledge of this subject so any help is much appreciated.

Associate
I hear you can get a canon 350D with kit lens for around £500 these days... its a very capable camera from the looks of it - or if you want to save a bit of money you could get a 2nd hand 300D for probably half that and spend the remainder on some extra lenses.

Im sure there will be some Nikonian's along soon to tell you about the D50 and D70 which are equally as good as the Canons

Associate
OP
cheers for the quick reply, best way is obviously to try a few in some shops but with my knowledge that would amount to me buying the best looking one!

Associate
I don't know enough about Canons, but you can pick up the D50 with 18-55mm lens (unlike the Canon kit lens, which is a bit variable, this is a good lens) You can get this kit for as little as a touch over £400 - can't link to where, but it's a well known UK chain, can PM you if you so desire. Which leaves money in your budget for another decent lens - perhaps something telescopic if you like that sort of thing, or perhaps something macro if you like that sort of thing.

Alternatively, you can pick up a D70 w// 18-70 lens for around your budget second hand - however, I would go for a new body, dSLR's don't last forever. Also, having played with both, I actually prefer the 18-55 over the 18-70.

All food for thought.

Associate
you can pick up a d50 kit with both the 18-55 kit lens and a 55-200 zoom for about the £550 mark.

One supplier had the D50 and kit lens for £399 last week (not sure if there is any left though)

Soldato
I'm also looking for an SLR. I THINK I've decided on a canon 350D however, but I dont know what is the best route to go down lens wise.
Are sigma lenses good (Sigma 18-50mm f3.5-5.6 DC and Sigma 55-200mm f3.5-5.6 DC) - rather than the kit lens?

Last edited:
Soldato
a lot of people don't like the sigma 18-50 F/3.5-5.6, but i have one and i think it's ok if used correctly, (i don't suffer CA fringing with mine although a lot apparently do). i can dig out an example shot for you from it actually,...
redcar%20sunsetsmall.jpg

full size

Soldato
I've seen mixed reviews on it too wes. But its got to be better than the kit lens, for an extra £45ish? Or should I just stick with the canon kit for now?

Soldato
Pickers said:
I've seen mixed reviews on it too wes. But its got to be better than the kit lens, for an extra £45ish? Or should I just stick with the canon kit for now?
iion the other hand though, i've seen some cracking shots taken with the kit lens too, it's not as shabby as some people make it out to be, people just see it that way because of forums like this, it's the 'follow the leader' thing.
another example, the cheap and cheerful 35-80mm canon lens, £20-£30 on ebay, capable of taking 'ok' pics, nowt special but still pleasing to the eye. makes a cracking macro lens (unofficially) there have been a couple of threads on it in the last week or 2 on here.

My whole kit bag is made up of budget kit, i can't justify paying even close to £500 on a lens tbh, but i make use of what i have, and i have some fantastic photo's from said kit ;)

Soldato
Minolta 5D and 18-70mm lens kit 6.1mp and Anti-Shake technology built into the body...

can be had for under £500

I have seen nothin but good reviews for this camera

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum5d.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KM5D/KM5DA.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/maxxum_5d-review

topher

laiman said:
Im currently using a very basic olympus C-450 Z (5.8-17.4mm) which must be about 3yr old its a compact digital camera with 4megapixel resolution, which has served me well and is great for flinging in my pocket for holidays, hill walking etc. However during a recent art project at school i discovered it was seriously strugling with some macro shots i was trying and the autofocus was driving me nuts on some I was taking in a local marsh.

So im thinking I might get a DSLR, would be my first slr and my buget wouldnt stretch to much but I really just looking for some opinions on what might be the best option for me? looking at around the £500-600 mark for a body and lens any advice? I have quite a limmited knowledge of this subject so any help is much appreciated.

Associate
topher said:
Minolta 5D and 18-70mm lens kit 6.1mp and Anti-Shake technology built into the body...

can be had for under £500

I have seen nothin but good reviews for this camera

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/maxxum5d.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KM5D/KM5DA.HTM
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/minolta/maxxum_5d-review

topher

£425 is the best price I've seen at the moment; that is a fantastic price. I'm tempted to buy one just to back-up my 7D at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom