Just watched Irréversible...

Associate
Just watched Irréversible and I am still trying to recover from it.

For anyone who hasnt seen it its basically about a woman (Monica Belluci) who get raped and beaten, and when her boyfriend finds out he, and his friend go off and kill the man who did it .

The whole film is in reverse chronological order and most (if not all) the scenes are one long shot.

The film starts off pretty good, albeit quite dark and violent, and I found myself watching it quite happily, if thats the right word.

Then comes Monica Belluci's first appearance. I'd heard what it was about and was quite prepared for it. Its only a film and I've seen people get 'raped' in films before. The entire sequence is shot from a static camera infront of her. At this point I didn't like the film one bit, and I felt that the scene had almost ruined the film.

The 'end' of the film (which are the events leading up to that scene) is really quite long and goes quite far back in time, arguably unnessecarily. I personally found the lengthy ending quite good, as it is not only quite nice (the final sequence is beautifully shot) but it also, almost, distracts you from what could quite possibly be 2 of the most disturbing scenes you may have ever seen (earlier in the film a man's face gets smashed in with a fire extingisher).

Overall I quite enjoyed it even though at one point I was considering closing my eyes and ears.

Soldato
Ahhh it's got Vincent Carsell from La Haine in it, I've been meaning to watch this for a while (we're currently doing Shocking Cinema and Censorship and Regulation) in Film Studies at the moment. Films like these have really opened my eyes up to what other kinds of films are being produced.

Back
Top Bottom