Why Vista WILL suck

Man of Honour
However, Vista also requires far more hardware oomph than previous Windows systems. I'd say Intel's recommendations are pretty much a minimum for Vista. I would only add that if you expect to see the fancy desktop, you need to invest in, say, an ATI Radeon XPress 200, an Nvidia nForce4, or a high-end graphics card.
But a couple of years after Vista's release such graphical power will be standard...

The folks from ExtremeTech also like the fact that Vista will have many more built-in applications. Isn't this why Microsoft got into trouble with the Department of Justice a while back? Isn't this the kind of thing that has both South Korea and the European Union raking them over the coals? Why, yes. Yes, it is.
I agree here. ET mentioned that Vista included X but didn't include Y or Z. Microsoft just can't win! If they did include Y and Z, ET and other reviewers would be saying "here comes the M$ monopoly again..."

Expensive? Yes. Awful? We'll see.
So in summary he just used a silly over-hyped headline to his article, which contained little actual substance and some awful opinion.

Sigh.

Soldato
the 'fancy desktop' runs fine on cards like the nVidia fx5200 and the Radeon 9600. Hardly an 'investment' in a 'high-end graphics card', is it?

And he may be moaning about 5308 running incredibly slowly, but he fails to say that it isn't finished yet. I'm confident it will run much faster by RTM.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I thought that the CTP version he's using is slower because it has debugging enabled or something. It is pretty foolish to compare the speed of an unfinished OS, when the final release is most probably going to be much better, like XP was compared to its betas.

Vista may have shortcomings but dearie me, the idea that Linux will be as good or better is hilarious. When Linux has caught up with the user friendliness and speed of Windows 95, let alone 2000, XP or Vista, then we'll talk... until then, don't make me laugh.

Permabanned
I didn't word it very well perhaps :p I was thinking in terms of speed of doing things like installing software or drivers, compared to Linux. But every Windows OS boots and shuts down/restarts a lot faster than any Linux distro I've ever tried. Also the Windows 95 GUI is snappier than say Gnome or KDE :)

Soldato
it's still pretty much the same old rickety kernel underneath it.

Need proof? In January, Microsoft shipped the first security patch for Vista. It was for the WMF (Windows Metafile) hole.
Since when was WMF rendering performed in the kernel? Oh wait, I forgot... it's written by a *nix geek where it is customary that everything and anything gets piled into the monolithic kernel...

What an idiot. I really can't be bothered to read any more. That alone is enough to discredit the entire article and indeed its author.

Last edited:
Soldato
VeNT said:
for you or me maybe, but 99% of business PCs will not be, nor ever will be!
But then, nobody is forcing anybody to use Aero Glass. If you don't have the measly hardware power to run it then just turn off Aero Glass! Vista actually does this automatically if it determines your system can't handle it...

Soldato
I think that's probably the worst article I've ever read.

You see, with SuperFetch you can a USB 2.0-based flash drive as a fetch buffer between your RAM and your hard disk. Let me spell that out for you. Vista will put part of your running application on a device that can be kicked off, knocked out, or that your dog can carry away as a chew toy. Do you see the problem here? Me too!

So Vista will force you to buy a USB2 memory stick to use as a buffer? Doubt it.

Next up, they say wonderful things about Home Premium Vista having Media Center capability being built into it. Maybe I'm just a little confused here, but after looking at the feature sets, the only thing I see that's changed here is that they'll be calling the next media-enabled Windows "Home Premium Vista" instead of "Media Center Vista."

So? Renaming a version of Windows makes it suck? :confused:

Excuse me, but that's not because Microsoft is being innovative. It's because they are still not shipping CableCard cards for PCs. Come the day they finally ship -- and I'm betting the ATI OCCUR makes it out first -- I suspect MythTV and the other open-source PVR (personal video recorder) projects will be right there.

But surely it's best to have support before it's introduced for immediate use rather than having to wait for an opensource project to catch up?

Soldato
NathanE said:
But then, nobody is forcing anybody to use Aero Glass. If you don't have the measly hardware power to run it then just turn off Aero Glass! Vista actually does this automatically if it determines your system can't handle it...

And I doubt a lot of businesses will be too fussed about Aero Glass on all their PCs anyway.

Associate
Some of the comments to the article hit it right on.

This guy rights like he is in high school.

And I had an Nvidea Nforce 4 5 years ago when I bought a dell. Surely soon even integrated graphics can *hopefully* attain the same power.

Soldato
thefranklin said:
And I had an Nvidea Nforce 4 5 years ago when I bought a dell. Surely soon even integrated graphics can *hopefully* attain the same power.
Yep - apparently the next version of Intel Extreme Graphics (their onboard solution that is currently...crap) will support Aero Glass.

Soldato
thefranklin said:
Some of the comments to the article hit it right on.

is that 4-5 years ago or is it as i read it, you had an Nforce 4 motherboard 5 years ago if so they werent even out 5 years ago
nforce 1 was but not 4

Permabanned
wush said:
I propose changing the title of that "article" to Why Linux Sucks

1. Because the community produces biased, pretentious nerds like that guy. :o

:D

Certainly I think any Linux zealot is on very shaky ground saying other operating systems suck, when Linux is in such a poor state.

Back
Top Bottom