Lappy Top Ramage.

Soldato
Righto, I've bought some 256mb 144pin sodimm ram for my laptop and I think its 144mhz. The laptop is a Compaq Presario with a 450mhz p3 and has 64mb base memory. I keep getting errors, reading up on the errors it appears its a ram problem. Now how would i go about finding on what sort of ram my laptop needs or is the ram I bought buggered?

Main errors include:

'windows/System32/pci.sys corrupted or missing'.

and also

'file setupdd.sys could not be loaded. the error code is 4', when reinstalling windows.

Associate
The memory you have bought will either be 100MHZ or 133MHz (I assume you've bought 133MHz). The P3 450 chip runs on a 100MHz front side bus, so 100MHZ memory would be the correct match. However, 133MHz memory *should* work.

That said, I'm guessing that the combination of the original 64MB and the newer faster memory isn't working. Laptop motherboards (normally) offer no memory tweaking adjustments and so they set the memory timings automatically. It might be that it isn't setting the timings correctly for one or both of the sticks now that you've added a stick of a different speed.

Is it possible to remove the 64MB base memory to test the new memory on its own? In other words, is the 64MB user accessible or hidden somewhere internal?

Hope this helps,

Martin

Back
Top Bottom