Another bad temp thread

Associate
Just installed Arctic Freezer 64 Pro the second time and it doesn't look good, 41 idle, this is with AS5. The first time it was even worse (stock thermal compound), 44 idle :eek:
I have seen people getting better result with this cooler. What is the common temp of Opteron 170 on air cooling (especially with Arctic 64 Pro)?
I'm thinking of changing to Big Typhoon, not really keen on XP120 though as I had awful experience with XP94 on my old Pen 4 :mad: . But I'm opened to suggestions.
I don't think I did anything wrong as installing AF64 can't get any simpler!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think there must be someting wrong there mate. Are you sure it's seated properly? Have you tried re-applying the AS5 and reseating it? Did you give both surfaces a good clean before applying AS5?

I have one of these on my 4000+ at 2700MHz with idle temp of 26 and load of 39.
I am so pleased with it, I am thinking of getting one for my X2 4400+ (running at ridiculous temps with stock cooler). I'm just waiting to see how the SI120+Delta combination does on my new Opteron 170 before deciding which is best.

Stan :)

Soldato
How hot is the room you are in lol...

I left the door shut in my pc room, with the heater on all day,

I fired up counter strike source, and my pc kept crashing...

So after the third crash, i looked over at my uGuru panel and saw CPU :56oc

:eek: :eek:

Basically, what im trying to say is the room needs to not be over'ly hot :)

Permabanned
The temp on my pc has gone up a lot lately!! Thing is i know why. I have had to move the PC into the living room which is warmer than where i had it before. I will now have to look at putting an extra fan and maybe changing the CPU fan for a higher CFM one.

Associate
Yep, i recently moved home. In our old house we couldnt control the temps of the heating just the times and my CPU would idle at 31/32C using an Arctic freezer pro. Since moving here the CPU has been idling at 24C. Environment can be a big factor.

Zeph.

n3x

n3x

Associate
you're not alone toucam. Ive reseated my freezer with as5 twice now with no change... my 146 idles around 39 and maxed out at 55 the other day running s&m :eek:

My room isnt even that warm :/ with case temps not exceeding 35c :confused:

Bit worried about summer time when things heat up... may try out the good ole scythe ninja if things look bad.

Soldato
The Opteron Dual core CPU's run hot. Even at stock my 165 runs at 37/38C under load with a big typhoon (and its cold in here). With the stock AMD heatpipe cooler which is a good as an XP-90 it ran about 4C hotter.

If I overclock to 2.6Ghz, even at 1.35v the Big typhoon struggles to keep below 50C, add a little extra voltage and 60C can soon occur.

I'm begining to think it's and issue with the IHS as the heatsink barely gets warm even though the CPU is much hotter.

AD

Associate
OP
After running 8 Primes simutaneously for 15 mins on both cores, temperature shot up to 50 with case side closed and 48 without case side.
My room temp is normal not too hot or anything as I don't turn on radiator. Oh and my case temp is 38 ish so I guess this is a little bit too hot? I've got two at the front and two at the back and one side fan.
I'm sure it's seated right as I even took out the motherboard to reseat it properly.
One thing I noticed is when I pushed down the lever, the copper base was pushed towards the other side left a bit of HSF (on the lever side) not covered. I thought the copper base is supposed to cover completely HSF's surface in order to achieve maximum heat dissipation? Can this be the reason?
Done some research and a lot of people are recommending Scythe Ninja, does anyone here have both the Big Typhoon and Scythe can do a small comparison?

Back
Top Bottom