The Dublin Riots (video)

Soldato
Dublin city riots video here!: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8234052583557825497&q=dublin+riots

Rioting in Dublin City (Republic of Ireland) in protest at the marching of the Northern Ireland Orange Order. Crowds of Irish republican ... all » counter-demonstrators burnt cars, smashed British-owned businesses and threw missiles and petrol bombs at Gardaí (Irish police) as they attempted to stop the march by the British loyalist paramilitary associated "LoveUlster" group.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've been in the middle of riots 10 times worse than that but I have to agree with you, it's an absolute disgrace. Fair play to the Loyalists for not retaliating but in my opinion they shouldn't have been there in the first place. I imagine there'd be a similar reaction if we decided to march through the centre of London to celebrate the 1916 Easter Rising.

There was a poor show from the so called 'Republicans', the majority of whom that were arrested turned out to be Lithuanian / Latvian / Georgian. If they were true Irish Republicans they would have let the march pass peacefully and embraced the principles of freedom; freedom of action and freedom of speech for everyone. Freedom is one of the main fundamentals of the Irish Republic, a country once occupied by an unwelcome oppressive presence, a country which fought for its freedom and won.

The bottom line is that that march shouldn't have went ahead. Dublin is a peaceful city with a reputation for acceptance of all cultures. This reputation has now been stained to the dismay of us Irish Nationals. I hope that the rest of the world realises that the actions of these people claiming to be acting in the interests of the Free State does not represent the opinion of true Irish nationals.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Paramilitary groups in Northern Ireland are widely described in the Northern Ireland media and society as terrorist organisations

If they are being classed as terrorists why dont they take them out with force if necessary?
Arnt they muslim enough :rolleyes:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Morlan said:
Oh child!

Im just wondering why dont remove them.
If they are being such a problem and have killed so many people you would think it would be better to have them removed instead of leaving them there.
They have been called a terrorist organisation after all

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Scuzi said:
The bottom line is that that march shouldn't have went ahead. Dublin is a peaceful city with a reputation for acceptance of all cultures. This reputation has now been stained to the dismay of us Irish Nationals. I hope that the rest of the world realises that the actions of these people claiming to be acting in the interests of the Free State does not represent the opinion of true Irish nationals.

I agree with this.

When I was on holiday in Dublin in 2002, one of the things which struck me was how cosmopolitan a city it was with people of many different nationalties living and working with little or no friction.

It is a great shame that these idiots have sullied the image of the city and I fear they will have spoiled the reputation of the Irish as being one of the friendliest peoples in the world :(

I believe in free speech but I do think that the type of march that sparked this riot should not be allowed to take place due to their inflammatory nature. Marches of this nature only serve to fuel bigotry and intolerance and the majority of people who take part in them attend solely for this reason.

I was also very sad to see more than one person wearing the colours of my football team. Celtic football club are trying hard to rid themselves of the sectarian image which has dogged them for many years. Images of people engaged in this sort of activity whilst wearing our colours will set that effort back greatly.
The majority of Celtic supporters are peaceful, tolerant people (our supporters won the EUFA and FIFA fair play awards in 2003 for our exempliary conduct during our UEFA cup run that season) and have no wish to be associated with this type of behaviour.
I would rather these people did not associate themselves with my team in any way.

Stan :)

Man of Honour
Well without wishing to sound controversial, I really hope the savages who were smashing property and bricking the Garda got a good taste of riot boot and baton !

They disgrace Ireland ! No matter which side of the border they come from !

Soldato
The person that puts the metal object through the college minibus window looks to me like a tool just out for some vandalism hoping to get on the news

Soldato
Well, my mrs is a bit wound up after a conversation about this (she was born in the south and lived in the north untill she moved to uni).. She agrees with Morlan and the fact that the Loyalists should stay out and that unionists should simply march in the north, not the south. Catholics are not allowed to march through prodominantly protestant areas in the north (i.e belfast) so why should the protestants be allowed to march in predominanty catholic areas?. Her mother was from a UDA rooted family and father from an IRA rooted family, so she has a reasonably middle road attitude by all accounts.

I on the other hand have a very simple solution (sitting in my chair behind a keyboard in the UK). Make membership of paramilitary organisation illegal, mandatory penalty upon conviction being 20 years imprisonment. Then send in the military to enforce..

Soldato
An Irish friend commented on the complete stupidty of these riots. Firstly, the proposed Orange march was bound to casue trouble, secondly the rioters are smashing up their own town in protest of the Orange march walking through it... how the hell do you show the 'enemy' who's boss by smashing up your own town?

Caporegime
benneh said:
I on the other hand have a very simple solution (sitting in my chair behind a keyboard in the UK). Make membership of paramilitary organisation illegal, mandatory penalty upon conviction being 20 years imprisonment. Then send in the military to enforce..

Isn't that what we did in the '60s or '70s and look how that turned out :rolleyes:

One question to Scuzi: Why were Lithuanian/Latvian/Georgian's rioting about a "Love Ulster" march? Does Iain Paisley think they should rejoin the Soviet Union or something? :)

Soldato
from that vidio I'd say that most of the ones smashing up the town where just chavs looking for somthing to brake, they just wanted to make other peoples lives a missery.

Man of Honour
scorza said:
Isn't that what we did in the '60s or '70s and look how that turned out :rolleyes:

One question to Scuzi: Why were Lithuanian/Latvian/Georgian's rioting about a "Love Ulster" march? Does Iain Paisley think they should rejoin the Soviet Union or something? :)

I have no idea. It would appear they joined in the riot either for the fun of it or to take advantage of the looting that was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what Dr. No thought, anyone that isn't a British white protestant can go to hell as far as he is concerned.

Suspended
Scuzi said:
I have no idea. It would appear they joined in the riot either for the fun of it or to take advantage of the looting that was going on. I wouldn't be surprised if that was what Dr. No thought, anyone that isn't a British white protestant can go to hell as far as he is concerned.

Whereas on the other side, anything thats an irish white catholic - "top o' the mornin'" :D ;)

Soldato
It all makes me wonder, again, why the police in Britain and Ireland don't use water cannon. A couple of them would have all the stupid vandallistic thugs back indoors for a nice cup of tea much faster than a line of coppers stood there dodging missiles.

If there's a reason we don't use them, I'd be interested to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom