Cooler question

Associate
First post, so hello to everyone! Ok that's done. My computer (essentials in sig) has been kind of loud lately, so I decided to quiet it down by changing the CPU cooler (AMD Heatsink) to Zalman. I set my eyes on either Zalman FS-C77 Fatal1ty or Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU. I've read about the first one that it's not as quiet as the producer claims it is. Furthermore, due to its size, there can be problems with installation. Here are my questions:
a) is FS-C77 really that loud, and does anyone know if it'll have any problems fitting into a computer such as mine (all the stuff is locked up in a black Shark Thermaltake case)?
b) as it's my first attempt to actually change a cooler, I'd be grateful for any hints concerning removal of old thermal compound (I don't want to damage my CPU) - i'll be replacing it with Arctic Silver 5 as it seems to be one of the best products available.

One more thing - I'll be trying to OC the CPU in the near future - please bear that in mind while advising me the cooler.

And that would be it for now. Any help will be much appreciated.

P.S. Last but not least - if there is ony other product you'd advise (apart from ThermalRight SI-120) - go ahead, I'm all ears.
P.P.S. Can any Don please delete my notes from a similar thread started by nick_lerwill?

Associate
Check out the ThermalTake Big Typhoon,assuming it will fit your board which it should as you are using 939 socket.

It will give you plenty of headroom if you Overclock later.

Isopropyl alcohol is what you need to clean heatsink and processors with,check your local chemist probably cost you a fiver.Just use a lint free cloth.

Steve

Associate
Skythe ninja if you can get it in your case. Why you against the si120? I used the xp120 on my a8n-sli premium and found it really good. If i was going for a zalman then id go for the 9500 and then replace the fan with a nexus to keep the noise down. zalman claim there products are really quiet and really good coolers but they are only quiet with fans on low and only good coolers with the fans on high.

Associate
OP
I'm not against SI120 - as I just copied and pasted my note from the previous thread (hopefully the original notes are deleted by now - though by my post count I can see they're not) where SI120 was already mentioned. That's why I said "apart from" :).

Skythe ninja if you can get it in your case.

Shark is 205 mm in width. Minus few cm for mobo + cpu. That gives me about 160 mm of free space. Enough for the heatsink itself but I'm not sure if the fan will fit. If anyone has any experience with putting Scythe Ninja into Thermaltake Shark, please post how those two work together.

Associate
OP
Ok I'll give Ninja a pass (don't want to buy something that may not quite fit - sides, I don't think I'm gonna need that much cooling capacity - I'll be trying to OC my Venice to 2200-2250 MHz max). I've now drifted towards Big Typhoon and Aero Flower. Since I can't find any reasonable comparison between those two, does anyone know how they perform? Another thing - I've read about the BT mounting problems - how is it with ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mobo? Any complications observed (that may be the key point as I've no mounting plates apart from the original one that came with the mobo)?

Associate
Aero Flower is the copy of the Zalman isnt it?

If it is I have the original Zalman flower(all copper) on my HTPC and I have found the Big Typhoon to do a much better job of cooling.Stuff from my main pc gets moved across to the HTPC when I feel the need to upgrade ;) .

Big Typhoon comes with mounting brackets and stuff anyway as it can bolt to original A64 bracket or you can use the supplied H brackets as I have had to on my DFI.

Steve

Associate
OP
ACPCUP said:
The XP-120 with a good 120mm fan is awesome at cooling! Superb.

Weird - I've seen several topics in which people complain about Thermalright (the SI-120 to be exact, but it's supposed to be better than XP?). And BT is said to outperform the XP-120.

Steve JL said:
Aero Flower is the copy of the Zalman isnt it?

That's right - I meant Zalman. If what you're saying is true than I guess we can take Zalman's claims to the cooler being superior that most other stuff and throw it in a bin. Looks like it's gonna be BT after all. All I've left to do is wait until friday when my money'll get trasfered to my card and order the behemoth =] (along with some other stuff ;).

Associate
Well I have had a XP90C,Zalman 7700CU(think that the correct model lol) and now finally on the BT and it is by far the best heatsink I have had so far.

I was very dissapointed with the XP90C tbh but I might try it on the HTPC and see how it goes on that.

Steve

Associate
I only recently set up an Opty rig, and I went for the A64 Freezer Pro.

Currently running P95 on my 146 at 10*270 at 1.465v (mb set at 1.425 chip default) . Room temp is 23'c, mobo temp is 32'c and load temp is 41'c.

Highest I've seen at load is 43'c and that was last night with the heating on full blast as I have a booger of a cold and had the shivers :(

This is in a Coolermaster ATC201 case with all fans running at 7v from a baybus. On 12v it runs about 3'c cooler.

mj

Oh- mobo is an Asus a8n32 sli. Very impressed with this board so far - looking at other peoples temps I think there must be something in the "Cool Stack" and 8 phase regulators (or the temp sensor is mince :D )

Associate
OP
Ok, I got the BT for my rig and I have to say it works like a charm :). On startup, bios detects 28C for my CPU and after a couple hours of work it stops at 33C. I've not seen it go higher than this. In a few days I'll try to OC the CPU and then we'll see how good this...thing is.
I kind of got scared when people complained about mounting but in the end I had no problems at all, so thanks to everyone who suggested BT :D

Back
Top Bottom