Lecturer Strike

Associate
apparently its a dispute over pay http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4780578.stm. Can't say I know enough about the subject to comment properly.

Went in for my lecturers this morning. no lecturer. thanks for telling us :( waste of a morning. I can understand what they are doing, and why. I'm not even particulary fussed about the 1 day strike, just wish they would have informed us! :(

seems odd though, as he was the only lecturer i know who went on strike. all the others were still there, some even laughing at the ones protesting outside, in the rain! My university (Exeter) claims it only effect 11% of lecturers, so that probably explains that one.

Anyone else experience this strike?

Permabanned
It's affecting lecturers who belong to the AUT, I had 2 of 5 lectures today cancelled.

It's a pay dispute that was originally brought up in about October, November was given as a deadline to conform to their wishes, then in December after nothing happened they decided to strike, and today is the result.

At least that's what i've heard :p

Caporegime
Here at Plymouth both my english housemates dont have any lectures whatsoever this week whereas all my lectures are still on. Typical :( :p

Associate
OP
ive got a maths assignment in next week, and no lecturer to teach it.

his reply will probably be "oh, you can do it on your own"

well then, why do we need you?! :rolleyes:

(this lecturer just happens to be a bit of a <blank>)

Man of Honour
Somewhat disappointed that it takes place on a Tuesday since I wouldn't have any classes anyway. However from speaking to our lecturers(they did warn us that the strike was going to happen) it appears they will be "working to rule" so assignments won't get marked etc or at least we won't get any grades back which is rather annoying.

Associate
I dont get the whole striking business, if seems flawed. They claim we have to pay more to hold on to the top lecturers / experts in certain fields. . .Funny how all the 'top experts/lecturers' are not striking, because they are already stupidly rich. If these striking lecturers really were experts/top in their field they would have no trouble at all making money. For instance one of my lecturers invented Iris recognition, you dont see him caring much about how much the uni pay him. I could think of many other examples. One of my other lecturers invented the technique that allows you to read computer screens through walls or by looking through windows when you can't see the screen directly. I assume he is making a fair bit.

Giving lecturers a pay rise doesn't help hold on to the best lecturers at all, it just gives the average ones more money.

I may be wrong about all this. I'm not particularly informed on the subject, its just my (quite uninformed) view.

Associate
we had an email last week and we had a replacement lecturer which was nice.

mind you, they told us to come in at 9 then the lecture was at 10-10.30!

poor lecturers - standing outside in the cold freezing rain 'cos they're not happy with £25 ph or something like that. they were also saying they were looking to push for an increased bursary for nursing students like me - £550 a month isn't much to live on, especially when they tell us we shouldn't be doin bank work and focussing on our studies... hmm...

oh well, least im home now!

Associate
semi-pro waster said:
Somewhat disappointed that it takes place on a Tuesday since I wouldn't have any classes anyway. However from speaking to our lecturers(they did warn us that the strike was going to happen) it appears they will be "working to rule" so assignments won't get marked etc or at least we won't get any grades back which is rather annoying.

Pfft , work to rule, considering I do 2 hours unpaid work daily compared to the lecturers who come in to do a supposedly 2 hour lecture once per week, in about 45 mins , then bugger off again. Plus the whole of summer off !

Associate
OP
yeh, few of my mates came in for the midday lecture.

"what did i miss".

"nothing".

great, so they went out and got drunk and never missed anything. the rest of us stayed in, then wasted the morning :(

d'oh! :D

Soldato
Yup, I had all of today's lectures cancelled. Tbh I'd rather they weren't, it just means more lectures at the end of the module in summer when I should be on a beach somewhere.

Soldato
i am an admin at the uni here in luton... there were a dozen or so people stood outside the uni this morning (before it was raining) and none that i noticed at luchtime (when it started raining) :)

usual stuff, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated...

seems the vice chancellors all got a pay increase of 25.25% while the actual lecturers didn't get any (ok they got a 3% increase to shut them up for half a year)

it also happens that the sector has an extra 3.5b to spend :)

Back
Top Bottom