Car/Racing Games....

Man of Honour
There's nothing quite like PGR3 on the PC visually really, or in the same arcadey gameplay either, I think the prettiest game to me is GT Legends, but that's old race cars and I'm guessing by real 'stuff' you mean normal road cars racing around tracks / cities etc. You've also got GTR, but that's modern race cars, and graphics aren't the prettiest in the world. Though one thing I persoanlly think both GTR/GTL have over PGR3 are the fact that they sound so much better.

Either of the above games may not interest you if you don't like sim games though.

Not played Trackmania: Sunrise, but some people rate that quite highly I think, though I don't think that's got real cars in it.

Permabanned
Never mind PGR3, there isn't anything on the PC as good as PGR 1 or 2! ;) There's a serious lack of good driving games on the PC - just a few EA console ports and niche market sims.

Permabanned
I gave up waiting for good driving games to come out on the PC. Gran Turismo, PGR, Burnout, Forza etc are all good reasons to buy a console.

Soldato
There are plenty of great driving games on a PC.

However, none of them are the arcade type games you get on a console (PGR, Gran Turismo, Forza etc)

The great PC games are true sims. They are nigh on impossible to play without a steering wheel/pedals, an analog gamepad would be OK.

Games such as GTR, GT Legends, Live For Speed, Richard Burns Rally are all excellent driving games, and their realism and accuracy are unsuppassed on any other platform.

If you want realistic games, then PC is the best platform. If you want arcadeish games, then a console is for you.

PGR/Gran Turismo/Forza are all "console sims", but they are still very arcadish compared to GTR/GTL/LFS/RBR, where you can still do reasonably well by being very "digital" with your inputs.

Associate
i have to agree that the so called great driving games, are way too 'real' for my liking, the only one ive tried is gtr and it looked good and stuff but it wasnt enjoyable enough for me, as i prefer the arcadey thing.
although nothing like pgr3 or any in the pgr series, need for speed most wanted has been a great game for me, but that does include the 'rude boy you car' thing which isnt some peoples taste i suppose.

Associate
Each to his own. But once you have gotten into it, sims are the only thing. I use Traction control only in F1 Challenge, because the real cars use it. Otherwise I love driving on the edge with a cars that feel like they really have that poer. With the physics and sounds of GT legands and the added feedback of a good wheel and my TFS tactile feedback seat, the only thing I miss is G-force. :D

But hey, all of these games can be adjusted- in steps, if you want- to arcade level. You could start with all aids on and then strip them off one by one. Once you have removed them all and are happy driving these monsters, you will never go back to arcade. ;)

Man of Honour
I must admit I do get slightly jealous of the consolers with all the arcade racers they get. I love the Need for Speed series but apart from that there aren't many good pickup-and-play racers on the PC. Even the arcade rally games like CMR2005 get boring pretty quickly.

Permabanned
If the price of an xbox360 and its games is too high, consider getting an Xbox - it's worth getting for games like PGR 2, Forza and Burnout 3/4 alone.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
If the price of an xbox360 and its games is too high, consider getting an Xbox - it's worth getting for games like PGR 2, Forza and Burnout 3/4 alone.

As much as I hate to say it, dirtydog is right on this one.

Associate
DTS (toca3) on xobx is a pretty good racer, well the main DTS cars are, the majority of the different catagories of cars are pretty naff, but in DTS mode it's a solid arcade racer with sytem link too, much better than Forza which is stil not bad though.

Soldato
Must admit I could never get into the sim PC racers - and I did try! I think its because it was always such a hassle, with earache from the mrs whenever I set the wheel and pedals up.

I'm loving PGR3 though, much more than PGR2 in fact. Whilst its undeniably a dumbed down handling game compared to say GTR theres just something about the weight of the cars that makes it feel more than a game. I think its also to do with the in car view, which has to be seen in motion to be appreciated. So many little details make it an absorbing experience. You can pan across the car and use wing mirrors, come through a tunnel and get slightly blinded, notice dirt on the windscreen and then see light bounce of it. The drivers head (ie your viewpoint) moving about slightly as you go over bumps, take corners etc. All these little things, coupled with a big screen just make me smile when I play :).

Strange thing is its nothing technically that a decent PC couldnt cope with, but there doesnt seem any developer will to produce something similar on PC, and in a similar way no one wants to make any sort of all out sim for the console.

Associate
hi.
just bought toca race driver3.
its a great game on the pc,graphics are good and the car handling is great.
i am using a ferrari force feedback wheel and its amazing with this game.
the demo you download is not much cop,but try the full game.
i wish they had put it on xbox 360 as well.
price £19.99 at toysrus.
cheers ian.

Soldato
I just tried out PGR3 and the in car display is great like Sagalout says and overall the graphics are impressive but it doesnt have enough feeling for me, GT4 is the best overall that Ive recently played.

There are games on PC if you look hard enough but I admit nothing has got me that interested. The jeep physics in BF2 are funny :D Theres LFS which is quite hardcore I think.

You could get Ferrari 355 challenge, its out on DC and PS2. Excellent physics in that but only the one car

GTR is also impressive, I didnt like the new GTL game really.

Best game ever is Stuntcarracer, wireframe graphics and monotone chip sound but an excellent feel to it. Suffice to say the guy who made it had a degree in physics before he ever learnt computers.

Can anyone tell if Ridge Racer on the 360 feels any different to PGR or is it even more arcadey, I was a great fan of the original game in arcade machine form

Back
Top Bottom