Budget LCD TV

Permabanned
Just got a wee bonus from work so I'm tempted to spend some of it on a budget LCD HD telly. The Mirai T27004 27" HD Ready Widescreen LCD TV (MO-012-OK) that OCUK are doing seems to be a good size for the price (£500) and it has HDCP on the DVI port so should be fairly future proof. Has anybody actually bought one of these panels yet? If so is it any good?

Can't find any reviews of it on the net anywhere...

Soldato
couple more quod and you can get a samsung of the same size with hdcp etc etc and it will kick it in, ok we are talking 50 quid more, but that 50 quid will go a long way my friend.

Permabanned
OP
Eliot said:
couple more quod and you can get a samsung of the same size with hdcp etc etc and it will kick it in, ok we are talking 50 quid more, but that 50 quid will go a long way my friend.

A 27" Samsung for £550? I'm inrigued...and confused.

I haven't seen a 27" sammy for under £600

Soldato
I would definitely splurge the extra 75 for the Samsung LE26R41B (not the one above). It got 94% in home cinema choice and is reknowned for being a very good TV.

Soldato
Don't know if you saw the other thread but if you buy it from Freemans you get 25% off your first order using this code - DQKP. They have the Samsung on there and many others ;)

Soldato
great thread! im looking for a hdtv widescreen and preferably over 23 inches.
but i dont understand all that hdcp stuff. All i know is I want a real nice looking tv with all the features that hdtv uses so it looks the best, cheers

Permabanned
OP
If you want a future-proof HD LCD you will need HDCP via a DVI port or an HDMI port. Sky HD channels will only work on an HDCP enabled TV (apparantly) and it wouldn't suprise me if some of the major studies required HDCP to play their HD-DVD or Blue-Ray disks.

Associate
JimmyEatWorms said:
If you want a future-proof HD LCD you will need HDCP via a DVI port or an HDMI port. Sky HD channels will only work on an HDCP enabled TV (apparantly) and it wouldn't suprise me if some of the major studies required HDCP to play their HD-DVD or Blue-Ray disks.

Its a bit worse that that. All HD enabled DVD players, set top boxes (and PCs) will have HDCP out and a coresponding HDCP in on your viewing device to enable you to view HDCP protected content @ HD resolution. So far it looks like all commercial HD DVD and blue ray content will be HDCP protected (and possibly broadcast flag protected too).

Any device without an HDCP decoder chip will display a low res version of HDCP protected content if it displays anything at all.

Its difficult to say what will happen with PCs as only the very latest gfx cards have HDCP compliant outputs. Theoretically, this means that without one of these cards, a PC cannot decode HDCP protected content @ DVD resolutions although I'm very intregued to see how quickly the scheme is broken.

I feel sorry for all the people who bought plasma and lcds with a view to watching HD, if they don't have HDCP support, they're not going to be able to watch the HD protected content at native resolution.

Associate
skiba said:
Don't know if you saw the other thread but if you buy it from Freemans you get 25% off your first order using this code - DQKP. They have the Samsung on there and many others ;)

OOOOOOh crap I was testing that code on the website and it looks like I accidentally ordered one I did not put my credit card details but it looks like they are going to send me a bill oh crap. I called them and they said I could not check it until tomorrow as there system is not live!!!! Has anyone ordered from them before and what should I do!!!??

Associate
JimmyEatWorms said:
Either call them tomorrow to cancel, contact you CC company to block the payment or just send it back when it arrives.

I did not put my CC details in it looks like they gave me credit thats why I did not realise I had ordered it. Im going to phone them tomorrow but looks like I will be getting Freemans crap in the post for a long time to come.

Permabanned
OP
Bobmunkhouse said:
I did not put my CC details in it looks like they gave me credit thats why I did not realise I had ordered it. Im going to phone them tomorrow but looks like I will be getting Freemans crap in the post for a long time to come.

I don't think they give that much credit to first time customers (max £200) so they'll probably phone looking for payment of the balance before shipping. So you should be able to just cancel it then...I'd imagine.

Associate
JimmyEatWorms said:
I don't think they give that much credit to first time customers (max £200) so they'll probably phone looking for payment of the balance before shipping. So you should be able to just cancel it then...I'd imagine.

Hmmm well i hope so as im looking at diffrent screens at the moment the Mirai T27004 is still an option as is bigger and I can use the DVI for the pc.

Soldato
DQKP is for fashion only, DREP is the one you want and it is still valid. There is no £200 limit if you do a 'casual cash sale' as you don't have to open an account with them. Sammy 26 inch for £480 then :)

Back
Top Bottom