Game distributors in the UK ?

Associate
My brother is considering starting up a pc/console game shop. He's at the planning stage just now, getting ideas etc.. but is struggling to find any really helpful info regarding game distributors in the UK. Can anyone shed some light on any of the companies that distribute games to retailers in the UK ?

Soldato
zain said:
Not worth it imo, so many companies and the prices wont be cheap (that you buy them for)
What if there are no game stores in his area?

I'm sure he would have evaluated the market to find out on competition and locating his shop in a busy place.

Soldato
Tesla said:
What if there are no game stores in his area?

I'm sure he would have evaluated the market to find out on competition and locating his shop in a busy place.

Well if there was I would assume prices to be RRP..why? There cant be a huge demand and they need to pay a lot of costs with a physical shop. Most people have internet access in the UK, and with the amount of ads they see im sure theyd want a cheaper price @ ebay or something - im not trying to stop the idea, just have to look at it from all aspects. After my research 3 years ago, the same story stands; bigger companies have the advantage and without a cheap quality supplier you cant compete and even if u do make a profit its not worth the effort

Associate
OP
As I said before, he's at the research stage and will be making a decision sometime in the next few months. The nearest game stores are at least a 30 minute drive away.
I personally feel it's a big risk due to the amount of competition from web based retailers (I buy practically all my games online) but if he decides to give it a go after weighing everything up I'll do all I can to help.

Thanks for the mcv tip bungler, I'll pass that on.

Man of Honour
Warning: Surviving as an Independant on this particular market is harder than its ever been, he would do well to pick another industry if he wishes to open an independant shop.

He will never compete with the supermarkets becuase he cannot buy in large enough quantity and not enough people respect and appreciate the personal touch to keep the business afloat.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Warning: Surviving as an Independant on this particular market is harder than its ever been, he would do well to pick another industry if he wishes to open an independant shop.

Sad but true :(

Lots of retail type industries are suffering from this very badly from the internet, it's a shame. No doubt we're all culprits of putting them under though. I know I am.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

He will never compete with the supermarkets becuase he cannot buy in large enough quantity and not enough people respect and appreciate the personal touch to keep the business afloat.

true

I hear that comics are a good place to start as they get worth MORE the older (some) get

Soldato
Mohinder said:
Sad but true :(

Lots of retail type industries are suffering from this very badly from the internet, it's a shame. No doubt we're all culprits of putting them under though. I know I am.
Not a shame imo, its called progress. The days of the old corner shop and friendly Storekeeper is left behind, and businesses needs to adapt or die.

Soldato
sup3rc0w said:
Not a shame imo, its called progress. The days of the old corner shop and friendly Storekeeper is left behind, and businesses needs to adapt or die.

I like going into shops, and I like having a customer/shopkeeper relationship with someone who'll go out of their way for you.

I definitely think it's a shame that independent shops seem to be on the way out.

Soldato
Mohinder said:
I like going into shops, and I like having a customer/shopkeeper relationship with someone who'll go out of their way for you.

I definitely think it's a shame that independent shops seem to be on the way out.

exactly, and I'm more than happy to pay a little extra for my weekly shopping if I get to know the people who work there

Soldato
VeNT said:
true

I hear that comics are a good place to start as they get worth MORE the older (some) get

Comics shops are closing down all over the place, i can only buy them online nowadays because they have closed.

People get a higher price for comics than they would do in a shop selling privately, so people sell on ebay rather than sell to an indie shop. Its killing them off :(

Ive noticed this more so in guitar shops, long gone are the days where you could walk into Johnny Roadhouse and see an original 60's Les Paul up for sale, they all go on ebay now.

Online is the way to go for everyone though, its cheaper, easier and more conveniant. Small business's can compete with the big guys and win!! im all for it :D

rlm

rlm

Associate
E-UK do Tesco too, who don't make a profit on the cd's/dvd's that they sell, I believe it to be the same for games, so this might make it even harder for you sadly.

Associate
OP
This is a thread created to get advice regarding UK distributors or wholesalers. Don't post unless you have relevant information regarding the above.

I'm not looking for advice regarding any business decision that my brother's going to make and he's not interested in comic books. I have no desire to get into it here as it's not the point of this thread, but believe me when I say that there is nowhere within 30 minutes drive where you can buy PC or XBox 360 games, and the availablility of other format games is appallingly poor as well.

Could a friendly mod please clean this up and delete all the non topic posts above, that's everything following my post at 21:22. I'd appreciate it if they could catch the one below as well, some people appear to be completely unable to keep on topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom