SETI down?

Associate
Biffa said:
Thats just their usual outage for backups. I haven't run out of WU's for ages now. Just set your preferences to a couple of days and you should have enough to get through all but the most tragic of outages.

I have mine set to 2 and am considering 3 or even 4.

Either I crunch too fast (the words "crunch" and "too fast" don't belong in the same sentence. Ever.) or it's cause Seti's been down a while. An old Athlon 2200+ ran out of work a long time ago, my laptop and one other machine would have to, but they don't get left on 24/7 so there on there last few WU's now. Another PC has no cooling atm and another has had its power supply thieved temporarily to sort out the cooling for the other PC >_< man my RAC is gonna suffer.

Newho point is how longs seti been down?

Soldato
Biffa said:
Thats just their usual outage for backups. I haven't run out of WU's for ages now. Just set your preferences to a couple of days and you should have enough to get through all but the most tragic of outages.
My machine crunches a WU in ~40 to 50 minutes and for some reason if I set my cache to 10 days I still don't get more than 60 WU's in my cache when it should be 320 WU's :confused:

Soldato
oceaness said:
I have mine set to 2 and am considering 3 or even 4.

Either I crunch too fast (the words "crunch" and "too fast" don't belong in the same sentence. Ever.) or it's cause Seti's been down a while.

You don't crunch 'too fast'; the WU completion estimates aren't totally accurate for any BOINC project afaik - they're usually on the generous side, so the amount of work downloaded and cached tends to be less than you ask for, which means that you get through your stash quicker than expected.

oceaness said:
Newho point is how longs seti been down?

It's been down for a few days now :(

EDIT: Just saw this in the technical news:

March 2, 2006 - 21:15 UTC
So it turns out the master database storage arrays had three drive failures during the long and thorough RAID resync process. We had two hot spares and a spare drive on the shelf. This, along with the fact that the array was RAID 10, means that we shouldn't have lost any data, but the resync process took extra time to do deal with these lost drives.

Why did we lose so many drives? These are old storage arrays donated to us a while ago, and the disks came with heavy wear and tear. We already had several other disks fail in this system so this is no big surprise. Once everything is resync'ed (in about 20 minutes from the time of writing) we'll start up the master database, check its tables (which may take as long as 24 hours), do some other hardware testing, and if all is well start up the assimilators/splitters again. If not, we might be out for an extra day as we continue to clean up.

So with a bit of luck, work should be available within the next 24 hours or so :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Is SETI working again for anyone else?

It is working on one of my pc's but my other pc is doing nothing.

Last edited:
Associate
Very defeatist, yeah maybe so but good idea to have it on your Boinc in case of this, you could give it a low resource share and if seti goes belly up again, get in a good few days work of it and help the Team go from 16th to hopefully the top ten. 23 active users just aint good enough! :D

We might even get a mention in the TV Prog in May if we get high enough!!

Caporegime
Sortof, seems to be really slow only allowing a trickle of WU's. My pc did one then had to wait about 3 hours to download another. keeps gettiing communcation deferred. :confused:

Soldato
My main cruncher should have enough to last me til tomorrow morning, whilst my other one's good for another 10 hours or so. If no work's made available after that then I'll get them folding - I don't like to be seen slacking :p

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Sortof, seems to be really slow only allowing a trickle of WU's. My pc did one then had to wait about 3 hours to download another. keeps gettiing communcation deferred. :confused:

I guess it is slow because there is a huge surge of clients demanding data after the outage. My PC downloaded 4 WUs at once when it first connected so I have work for the next few hours anyway :) I get communication deferred all the time anyway, even when everything is working, I'm not really sure what it means :confused:

Associate
I'm glad that i have 2 other projects which have cached units, predictor and CPD, I definately think that even if you don't want to do much with anything else at least attatch to cpd, their work units last for months, so you could set them at 1% of time allocated, so when seti borks up, you can continue to crunch for something.

And not slacking. :eek:

Soldato
it all seems nice enough now. Reading the technical news they had 3 disks go bad in a raid 10 array :eek: Sound's like it's time for a disk manufacturer to donate some hardware to them? Personally I wouldn't expect the rest of the disks to last very long.

HT

Back
Top Bottom