What's the deal with 360 DVD playback?

Permabanned
Just wondering what the general concensus is on DVD playback on the 360?

Mines pretty poor. The image jerks and lipsynch is out. But the sound is ok. For the record, thanks to another thread I've established I have a Hitachi drive in my 360. Could it be linked to that?

It's the only thing I'm dissapointed about with the 360. For such a powerful machine the DVD playback is shocking.

Man of Honour
If you change the PAL setting from PAL60 to PAL50, then the lip sync is 99% fixed, but I've noticed it happen still even on PAL50.

(I'm not sure if this is the case for users using HD output, but even if you're on HD, connect using standard composite, so you can get onto the PAL settings, and try changing to PAL50 then going back to HD mode, see if that does the trick).

Soldato
I'm not saying the 360 playback is fantastic, but I've tried a wide range of films on it and never experienced any jerking or sync issues (running via component).

I'm sure problems do exist, is there a particular DVD that it happens with for everyone?

Permabanned
OP
it's not just sound sych though. the picture jerks about as well.

but like you mr banana i rarely play DVD's, but it would be nice to know I could if i wanted to!

Soldato
Quality wise I thought it was great, however I have a problem where by on high contrast scenes, I get black banding across the picture. Annoying enough to ruin watching a film.

Permabanned
OP
i just tried the i-robot test. apparently that's one film that SHOULD work fine...

and it did, which suggest a bug for MS to iron out?

Soldato
No problems with dvd playback on my xbox360 overall very impressed with the picture quality and sound would have been better if they allowed dvds to be upscaled to 720p/1080i but you cant have everything can you.

Soldato
Tried two 360's both with the Hitachi, one running through standard composite cable was jerkovision deluxe, the other running with a VGA cable was super smooth.

Permabanned
OP
Bit of an update here...

I've just tried 3 more movies and they all played fine; The Incredibles, Saving Private Ryan & Big Daddy.

The one's I have problems with are ones that tend to acompany CD's, specifically James Blunts Bedlam Sessions, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers and System of A Down. All DVD's that came with the CD have problems on my 360.

another update....10:08pm

Just called xbox support and they have told me it is a phenomenon called "macrovision". it tends to affect multi region DVD's or DVD's with no region encoding (such as the aforementioned music DVD's) as they are not up to the standard of a movie for example and sensitive DVD players will not play them properly.

So there you have it. Looks like something that'll never be fixed as it's a hardware thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom