Adding a laptop wirelessly to a wired network...

Soldato
... via a PCI wireless card.

Can it be done?

I currently have 2 PCs linked via a Netgear router. They are both on via bog standard cat5e cable.

I've got a wireless laptop from work, and a PCI wireless adapter. My plan was to install the PCI card in my PC, then ad-hoc a connection between my PC and the wireless laptop.

I set up the SSID, WEP key etc for both machines, and they both connect to the network. However, the laptop has no internet access, and doesn't seem to be able to see the shared drives.

So this leaves me to question whether what I want to do can be done, and I'm doing something wrong, or whether I need a WAP instead.

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
burbleflop said:
Good stuff :)

Thanks for the advice! :D My only concern is that my wired connection had ICS on it - presumably for my Nintendo DS Wifi Adapter (USB). Is it likely to affect that?

(Runs off to test).

Soldato
OP
Syph said:
Thanks for the advice! :D My only concern is that my wired connection had ICS on it - presumably for my Nintendo DS Wifi Adapter (USB). Is it likely to affect that?

(Runs off to test).

Yep - it narks up the Nintendo Wifi. No worries, I won't use them concurrently anyway.

Thanks for help! :)

Back
Top Bottom