Passive water cooling

Associate
Has anyone looked at these radiators Innovatek Convection Radiators . They have quite a large one and it is passive. You can also link them together to get a larger radiator. I was looking at the Zalman Reserator 1-Plus but not sure if I could overclock using that system. Thinking of putting it on an AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core. I really need a silent system. Any comments or recommendations welcome.

Thanks

jasylum

Associate
*points to box at other end of my room containing a konvert-o-matic maxi*
there realy nice rads. though it ran the system in my sig passivly for about a hour or two the temps did get to what i consider dangerous levels, talking 80plus on the gpus, cpu was 65 etc so i went bk to conventional rads with fans. if you want somthing with some grunt. try a mora2 rad. it hold 9 fans or can be also run passive.

Makes more sense to invest in a rad that works well with silent fans rather than to build a passive system, as difference in noise levels between a passive system and a well thought-out active system can be undetectable, but difference in performance can be huge.

CSP-Mag or D5 or DDC - MUST be on antivibe mountings.
PA160 radiator with a SINGLE 120mm silent fan, undervolted (Nexus, YateLoon, SilenX iXtrema). Add tubing and blocks. There's your silent watercooling kit.

Associate
OP
Was thinking of getting 2 konvert-o-matic maxi and connecting them together. They also provide a shroud and fan for the unit. Was considering more of a under desk mount about 6 inches away from the wall with the large radiator. The mora 2 rad looks very good as well anyone using this.

Associate
jasylum said:
Has anyone looked at these radiators Innovatek Convection Radiators . They have quite a large one and it is passive. You can also link them together to get a larger radiator. I was looking at the Zalman Reserator 1-Plus but not sure if I could overclock using that system. Thinking of putting it on an AMD Opteron 170 Dual Core. I really need a silent system. Any comments or recommendations welcome.

Thanks

jasylum

If, like myself, you want silence but don't mind a bit of fan noise for those overclocking sessions I can highly recommend the Reserator. It's silent and cools my normal overclock very well but if you wrap it in thin a card tube and suck air out the top with a 'quiet' 120 fan, it is probably as good as any other 'sensible' w/cooling setup and still not particularly noisy! :cool: I only use the extra fan when attempting to destroy my hardware for a couple more 3d06 marks :o

Associate
jasylum said:
Was thinking of using a car rad after reading this http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=401801
But can I run it without any fans. Really only want the psu fan and maybe one 120mm under volted in the case. Is this possible.Just can have the noise any more of all those fans.

Sounds and looks like it works but I doubt it's better at passive cooling than the reserator, it looks pretty nasty (no offence) compared to a reserator and looks a whole lot more trouble to build! :eek:

Associate
OP
True but the fun is in the build and the challenge. Its not that nasty looking if the radiator is tucked away under your desk. Also if the radiator is copper it should cool better.

Back
Top Bottom