• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone got an XFX 7800GT Extreme LED with working fan speed control?

Man of Honour
I've been putting up with this for a couple of months now, hoping for a fix. I've finally got some time off work and I'm hoping to get it sorted out.

I bought the above card from OcUK on the 24th of December. It works fine, but the fan speed is set at 100% all of the time. 7 different drivers - no change. Clean installation of WinXP on a spare HDD - no change. Rivatuner and a couple of similar programs - no change.

I have come to think that this particular model does not have fan speed control at all. The fan and the LEDs are powered from the same power header on the card, over the same wires. The LEDs require a constant 12V. So how could the fan speed be varied?

I should have bought a non-LED version, but (a) OcUK didn't stock a non-LED Extreme version when I bought mine and (b) I didn't know there was a problem then.

I phoned OcUK support today and OcUK will replace the card, no problem. However, they'll only replace it with another XFX 7800GT Extreme LED Edition.

So...two questions:

i) Are all XFX 7800GT Extreme LED Editions the UDER or UDE7 models? Or is there a UDF7 model of this card? UDF7 cards seems to work as specified, with a few exceptions.

ii) Is there such a thing as an XFX 7800GT Extreme LED Edition with fan speed control? In other words, might I get lucky if I do an RMA through OcUK?

Man of Honour
OP
Ooh, that's the first worker I've heard of, on 4 different forums.

If it's my PC, it's several hundred others at least. Some people have tried the same card in 5 different PCs (in a shop).

To confirm: You have a UDER and LED edition and your fan speed definitely varies?

Soldato
There are problems with some or one revision of the card, it's not your system that is producing the error.

I don't know which version is good and which isn't, I think there is also a XFX forum and there might be more info there.

I have no problem as I installed a Zalman VF700-Cu before installing the card in my computer and that doesn't use the onboard header for power.

NqR

NqR

Associate
if i where you,and i could fine a spare vga,i would rma it.I bielive there is also a change of getting an 7800gtx if the dont have the led edition in stock ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Dutch Guy said:
There are problems with some or one revision of the card, it's not your system that is producing the error.

I don't know which version is good and which isn't, I think there is also a XFX forum and there might be more info there.

I have no problem as I installed a Zalman VF700-Cu before installing the card in my computer and that doesn't use the onboard header for power.

I've been using the XFX forums for some while and there is a lot of info there. Especially in the 20-odd page on the issue that XFX deleted.

The problem is with the UDE revisions. UDE3, UDE7 and UDER. My particular problem is that OcUK will only replace my faulty card with one of exactly the same model. I'm willing to take a card that's £50 cheaper than the one I bought, but no go. The UDF7 (no LEDs, plain PCB) rather than the UDER (black PCB, LEDs).

Soldato
Angilion said:
I've been using the XFX forums for some while and there is a lot of info there. Especially in the 20-odd page on the issue that XFX deleted.

The problem is with the UDE revisions. UDE3, UDE7 and UDER. My particular problem is that OcUK will only replace my faulty card with one of exactly the same model. I'm willing to take a card that's £50 cheaper than the one I bought, but no go. The UDF7 (no LEDs, plain PCB) rather than the UDER (black PCB, LEDs).
The one you have is faulty so exchange it for a new one anyway, the worst that can happen is you get another faulty one, in that case maybe consider getting a Zalman cooler that runs off a molex.

Back
Top Bottom