swapping cdrw for dvd/cdwr combo

Associate
I have win98se and im about to do a reformat and install xp home,i have just purchased a dvd-rw/cd-rw combo(nec 3550),is it best to change it before i reformat and install xp or do it after i have finished installing xp,im not sure what to do,i currently have nero 5.5.8.0 but have nero 6 ultra edition to install on new setup,any response would be much appreciated...cheers.

Or do i keep my cd-rw liteon LTR-48125W and install my dvd drive after,if so how do i set them up so i can use both of them in my system,has one got to be a slave and the other a master,i dont know?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It shouldn't make too much of a difference which way you do it but for simplicities sake I'd plug it in before you install XP home, if you do it afterwards it will be automatically recognised by XP home anyway but I'd prefer to plug it in first.

If you have separate IDE channels with nothing on them then you can keep them both as masters but from the sounds of your system I'd guess that your hard drive is IDE as well? If this is the case then I'd set-up the DVDRW as the master and then the Lite-on as a slave by moving the jumpers at the back and you can connect them both on the same cable :)

Back
Top Bottom