Power Outages?

Associate
I recently got a phonecall from my brother saying that he's messed up his computer in some way or another but the problem is that when his computer is turned on it only stays on for a certain period of time then the power just cuts out. He mentioned something about hearing a "pop" sound so i was thinking it was someting to do with the PSU and static but hes not the sorta guy that would open his computer case to let static in anyway... He says it happens every couple of days or so and he doesnt want to give it to a computer shop to repair because "they are the new car mechanics"... you know... charging for a new motherboard, gfx card and PSU when they only needed to fix the PSU or something... so any ideas?

Soldato
Well the easiest way to find out is to put another psu in there and try it out.

I could be that the PSU is on the way out, or maybe they have problems with the power in his house? Best bet is to try and get another PSU to test with.

Associate
OP
You think it would be a good idea to use my own psu in his computer to test it out? He only has an extra PSU in his Pentium 2 ancient compy and he says that it doesnt seem compatible.

Man of Honour
GAMEfreak said:
wow very good command of english there m8 :rolleyes: .

He missed out a "t", roll-eyes isn't really appropriate is it?

White Fang(excellent name by the way, such a good book) yeah I think you will have to use your own PSU to test. At the moment it sounds quite like a PSU problem but if nothing else at least you could eliminate it from the possibles :)

Soldato
GAMEfreak said:
wow very good command of english there m8 :rolleyes: .

lol. yeah PSU seems dead to me, get a new one.l

LOL cracked me up m8 lol, comments on command of english and spells MATE as m8.

meh

Anyways back on topic, as suggested sounds like a psu issue, or could be something simple like the power cord into the back of the pc being lose.

Check all the wiring from the psu to the mobo and such. and if possible swap out the psu with a spare one to test.

hope that helps

command of english lol cracked me up

Soldato
Man i never knew there was a spelling police officer here.

I appologise humbly for my missing out of a t. I guess us ladies can't be perfect all the time :D

Yeah looks like u'll have to try your psu out in his pc mate, or try and find a cheap one at a computer fair just to see if it is and then buy a better one from OCUK.

Last edited:
Soldato
AFK Matrix,

there is a fair few spelling police officials around on the forums, most of them are fine though lol and know how to spell them selves. this dude cracked me up though with his correction and then using text talk. :D

Back
Top Bottom