Mogwai - Mr.Beast

Soldato
Pitchfork got the review pretty spot-on I'd say. Same with DiS, and their 6/10 rating.

One of the best things about Mogwai was their song being allowed time to properly form and flourish. On Mr. Beast, there's just not enough room for proper Mogwai to come out. Although while I say that, "Travel Is Dangerous", "Glasgow Mega-Snake", "I Chose Horses" and "We're No Here" are cracking songs that I can't wait to hear live. I find the rest of the album rather timid really, and although there are a few nice other songs, nothing to rival Young Team, and nothing which goes above anything heard on Come On Die Young or Happy Songs...

I'm suitably unimpressed. Especially after hearing:

Alan McGee has described Mr Beast as “the greatest art rock record since My Bloody Valentine’s Loveless”.

Hyped-up slightly too much perhaps?

Soldato
OP
Ahh thanks, I still don't think that I am getting post/art rock, seems sometimes that it sounds like a band messing around for a bit without actually getting anywhere.

That said I do like Young Team. :)

Soldato
It's very good, although I actually agree with a fair amount of what pitchfork said. Basically, it trades in all out power for a touch more refinement and beauty. Having said that, there are a few balls-out, 'batter you round the head with a broken guitar' classic Mogwai moments, its just that they tend to be quite short, which kind of diminishes the catharsis they could be capable of.

I would write more but I'm on a uni pc and the keyboard is driving me nuts!

For me, 4 stars, better than Rock Action and Happy Songs, but not as good as CODY or Young Team.

Associate
I was slightly underwhelmed on 1st listen but after a while i have begun to appreciate it for the brilliant record it is. I just noticed more and more bits I liked. It's a grower for def. Give it time.

My fave Mogwai album is still Happy Songs For Happy People
Simply an amazing record.

Soldato
I think it's a very good album, beautiful in places, yet heavy and dark in others as you'd expect from Mogwai.

My only gripe it that it seems half finished, as if they'd got the foundation for some new songs but never stretched them out in true post-rock fashion like they've done on previous records. There's not a track that much over 5mins here so they've started and finished before you've had a chance to get into them, such was the way with other Mogwai tracks (Ratts of the Capital being a prime example).

Still, they tend to mess about with songs when playing live so perhaps they'll redeem themselves when I see them at the end of the month in Bristol.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Big Chris said:
When I see them at the end of the month in Bristol.

haha, you had to slip that in to make us all jealous, didnt you!?

oh wait. i'm going, too :D

just picked up my copy this morning, will give it a razz later :) did people get the bonus DVD as well?

Soldato
Sic said:
did people get the bonus DVD as well?
Yes. That version is one of the best examples of album packaging I've seen in quite a while. Simple but excellent concept, and show some thought's gone into the release and sets it apart from many other lazy album designs since the death of [gatefold] vinyl. Still not quite sure what's going on with the artwork, but works all the same. Not that I wasn't expecting the effort. HSfHP was a great idea with the addition of the Cubase project for remixing and the mirror inlay - for happy people.

The DVD's a nice compliment to the album. A roughly hour-long documentary about the recording of Mr.Beast at their own studio and a few live shots of the new material. Doesn't get into the technical side, but it's well edited and gives a good insight into the process and their feelings about the recording.

Really liking the album so far. Glasgow Mega-Snake's a stunning track, and I'm not normally into loud Mogwai; the first minute of is some of their best work. Short, indeed, but the length is just right to keep its impact.

Back
Top Bottom