Sapphire Pure Failing?

Associate
Has anyone experienced problems with Sapphire Pure motherboards? I was running a Sapphire Pure PI-A9RX480, with Radeon X1300 , AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 and 2 gb RAM.

Having never overclocked this machine, I'm a bit surprised to find I'm now having problems. System repeatedly stalls or restarts, even whilst editing BIOS settings. Cannot boot from disk.

Any suggestions as to how to recover the system. System voltages seem to be stable, and core temperatures within the tolerances specified.

Moving towards an RMA, but thought someone out there may have experienced similar problems?? Could it be the temperature controllers in *** board? Or the power supply?

Associate
OP
When I booted with one memory stick I have the same problems. Initial bootup memory test completes with 2gb or 1gb stick without problems. sometimes freezes before this.

Subsequent IDE seek for devices fails most of the time. The erratic nature of the problem makes me think it is either a temperature issue or voltage, but that seems OK in BIOS. Then BIOS crashes! Reset CPROM memory and still problems persist.
Ran memtest off Suse-linux 10 boot disk and it listed several thousand errors. But could these have resulted from the mainboard malfunctioning? Unable to run memtest anymore, as memtest crashes.

Initially I thought this was a disk problem as it loaded up to NTFS.SYS in XP partition and halted, suggesting that I ran XP rescue disk. When I ran the rescue , it crashed during the reading of the CDROM. This made me think it was an IDE problem, as CD and SATA hard drive on IDE channels.

Had the mainboard or memory failed I would have expected some sort of POST message beeps, but all sounds normal until I get a freeze.
So, yes could be memory, but surprised that it would pass intial boot test.
Thanks!

Soldato
Moondust said:
When I booted with one memory stick I have the same problems. Initial bootup memory test completes with 2gb or 1gb stick without problems. sometimes freezes before this.

Subsequent IDE seek for devices fails most of the time. The erratic nature of the problem makes me think it is either a temperature issue or voltage, but that seems OK in BIOS. Then BIOS crashes! Reset CPROM memory and still problems persist.
Ran memtest off Suse-linux 10 boot disk and it listed several thousand errors. But could these have resulted from the mainboard malfunctioning? Unable to run memtest anymore, as memtest crashes.

Initially I thought this was a disk problem as it loaded up to NTFS.SYS in XP partition and halted, suggesting that I ran XP rescue disk. When I ran the rescue , it crashed during the reading of the CDROM. This made me think it was an IDE problem, as CD and SATA hard drive on IDE channels.

Had the mainboard or memory failed I would have expected some sort of POST message beeps, but all sounds normal until I get a freeze.
So, yes could be memory, but surprised that it would pass intial boot test.
Thanks!

Hi!

The bootup memory test isn't thorough so it often misses errors that are foud in memory testing programs :)

The memory errors do suggest a memory problem but they can be caused by a faulty motherboard. As it doesn't get any further than post and it started with problems on the IDE controllers this points to a faulty motherboard

If you try to boot it without any memory, graphics or CPU can you hear any beeps? If the motherboard doesn't beep then this is not a good sign

What happens if you just try to boot with one memory stick and no hard drives or CD drives?

Associate
OP
further investigations.....

With one memory stick and no drives I get an initial boot memtest (dosn't fail) ending at "DMI update success",of course, it doesn't boot. The DRAM is Corsair CMX1024-3200PT 400MHZ 3.3.3.8.
Ran memtest, and it says the memory is bad all the way (for both memory modules).
BIOS doesn't seem to crash with one module either, seems stable. Maybe the DRAM interleaving causes problems with 2 modules.

Will try another bank of new DRAM just to see.

Thanks again.

Associate
OP
Without any memory it continuously beeps.
With one memory bank installed it does help.

have just tested out the memory in a RAM tester. One bank was faulty (scrap) and the other was fine. So with good memory in the board, it's still throwing up errors. Mobo is faulty.

So the mobo must have malfunctioned and spiked one of the banks. The system isonly 1.5 months old, so hopefully the next board when it arrives will last longer!

Thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
Yeah, I've RMAd them both , will wait and see what OC say... They refuse to replace the videocard which isn't suported under linux Grrrr. So beware, I bought a Radeon X1300 , but didn't check if it had linux drivers. Now OC won't replace it as the say it isn't faulty, bit disappointed that they won;t out of courtesy really.... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Soldato
i had a problem with this board.

i couldnt for the life of me run memory faster than 166mhz. i replaced the memory and that.. still got the same problem

in the end had to replace the mobo. im now using asus deluxe... lovely.

was a problem that persisted for a good month of so :( frustrating start to the year.. hope you get it sorted asap... because it is very annoying

Associate
OP
Still witing for a reply from Overclockers!! No answer from their phone system, and they're ignoring requests through the customer support system.

I suppose they must be busy with the large number of Sapphire boards being returned!

I suppose I have to be patient, but for how long?

EuuurrrrggggghhhH!!!!!!

Associate
OP
I bought the X1300 in January. I could hang on until the linux drivers are ready tho. I saw the board working on an XP machine and thought it looked good.

Back
Top Bottom