Dodgy internal wiring, how to get round it

Associate
Hi All

My internal wiring is dodgy, even though its a new build. Even with the modem directly in the master socket I can only get 16mb, where as if I stick in the test socket I can get 19mb.

Whats the best way to get around this, as I obviously cant use my house phone using this method.

Thanks
Aaron

Associate
1\ Try your own phone extension leads from the master socket. Buy quality one's.

2\ Get a router, then run Cat-5e Ethernet cables around the house. (Best quality answer)

4\ Get a WiFi router, and use a WiFi NIC in your PC. Plug router into master socket, then connect via WiFi. This will depend on how far your PC is from the router and what materials (metal, water, etc) are in the way.

5\ Make sure you have the ADSL filters on every phone socket.

6\ And then count how many phones you have plugged in. Include the ADSL modem as a phone. Also include any Sky box that is plugged in. If you have more than three phones plugged in, then unplug some. You may be going over the REN for your phone cables. (i.e. no more than three devices plugged in...)

7\ Think of a number three for this list.... :)

Edit: I agree with Deathwish about your post as it makes no sense. So I have given you a generic answer.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorry, heres some more details

Its ADSL 2+. I can leave the router near the master socket as its in my storage cupboard and I want to leave all the networking gear and servers in there, so that isnt a problem.

The problem is that by removing the face plate and using the test socket it disconnects all the other points in my apartment, so I cant use my landline in the lounge.

Is there a special face plate that allows me to get round that?

Cheers
Aaron

Associate
What do you mean by a "test socket"? Normally BT will wire a single socket into your house, and then extensions are taken from this.

The socket BT wire in will be called a "master" socket and can often be spotted as it will usually have a BT logo on it.

Or that is how I understand it. (I am a compter engineer, not a BT engineer)

I did have a customer last week who had a router which would fail to logon to ADSL when using some of her phone extension sockets. It was a case of running round the house trying each socket in turn to find the "good" ones.

The weirdest part was the way ADSL was failing... the ADSL signal was clearly there, and the signal woudl lock on. It would then fail the DHCP request to the ISP. I assume this was noise.

Associate
OP
BT sockets have a test socket behind the face plate on *** master socket. It is a 'clean' socket and a direct feed to the phone line, its not at all linked to the internal wiring and such eliminates any problems with internal extensions etc. But my taking off the faceplate I am essentially disconnecting all the extensions

Hope that makes sense, sure some one can explain it better lol

Aaron

Associate
fluiduk said:
BT sockets have a test socket behind the face plate on the master socket.
Ah... now I understand. Sounds like someone has bodged your household phone cables then. Is it feasible to replace the cables? Or run new cables as I suggest above?

I'd be partially tempted to get BT to sort the socket out... but they would probally charge for that. :(

Have you inspected the cables in the faceplate you are removing. If using the master socket instead of the test socket has such a hit on your speed, then you may just have a dodgy conenction. Try pushing the wires home a bit firmer in the backplate. Also clean the brass contacts with some Alcohol or white spirit. I have had phone in the past which woudl not "ring" because of damp causing corrosion on the brass connections. Scrubbed it clean, and all worked again.

Associate
OP
Thats cool, I will froogle it. Just wanted to know which type/one I need.

As it needs to be the type that keeps the internal wiring seperate from the adsl. Whats the bt model number for example?

THanks for all the help

Cheers
Aaron

Caporegime
The BT name for it is an NTE2005 IIRC.

Hinting doesn't get your round the competitor rules either...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
"MODIFIED BT Engineers' ADSL Filter/Splitter Faceplate for NTE5 Master boxes"

Is that the one I want then, and am I right in saying that it isolates the adsl socket from the internal wiring?

Sorry for all the questions

Aaron

Associate
OP
Excellent, thats what i want.

My internal wiring must be well rubbish, if I plug into the normal socket my snr drops to 5 and the connection becomes unusable.

Aaron

Associate
fluiduk said:
My internal wiring must be well rubbish, if I plug into the normal socket my snr drops to 5 and the connection becomes unusable.
In the days of dialup, I once visited a customer with a knackered old PC. The best speed it could connect at was 28K. Though usually less.

I then went around his small flat and unplugged five phones. Then unpluged miles of cheap and nasty extension cables. This was strewn all over the place, and probally also picking up various radio signals.

When I then used one lead to connect his PC to the main socket... he was running at 48K instead. He soon got the point. :)

Back
Top Bottom