Yay - specificitiltilatify me a gogglebox . . . (please)

Caporegime
My Elonex Lumina is going back, after 4 months.

Why? Because it is a bunch of arse, and has been beset with problems from day one (in fact, I am on my third unit, and it needs replacing again).

Luckily, <competitor> have offered a full refund.

That gives me 2,000 guilt free pounds to play with, so what's it going to be?

It needs to be spangly and shiny (brushed aluminiminiminimium), and have rilly fancy inputs. And HDTV ready. And a qualified dog-walker.

The dog-walking is not crucial.

On your marks . . .

Get set . . .

GO!!!!

Soldato
YooEntSinMeROYT said:
I think he's maybe after a HTPC/Screen setup though?

I've kept my PC & Home Cinema strictly separate so cannot help with suggesting a HTPC.

As far as screens go though I can recommend the JVC panels though.

And the panel i mentioned is perfect for HTPC, coming with a wide array of connections including both a DVI (HDCP) and HDMI (HDCP) ports which makes it quite futureproof :) Supporting true 1:1 pixel mapping as well.

Soldato
2k is going to put you in the 40" LCD or 42" / 43" Plasma sectors.

LCD usually has slightly less quality blacks but better suited to HTPC uses.
Most plasma (i think all actually) below the 50" size are limited to 1024x768 Vs 1366x768 resolutions on LCDs. Really though even if ignoring HTPC desktop resolutions HTDV material could look more detailed on a higher resolution LCD panel. Also take onboard that resolution isnt everything with regards to overall picture quality.

Currently you wont get much better than the Sony V40 in LCD terms (owner myself) or the Phillips 37" ambilight model, these would be among the current best LCDs. The latest Samsung may also be worth considering but look on AV Forums youll find many more comments on different models and loads of people in the same boat as yourself.

Dont get over indulged in the 1:1 pixel mapping with regards PC input, its only a major benifit with text/applications. HDTVs will scale really well with 720p/1080i resolutions which youll mostly be using or if from a PC something pretty close to it.

Personally i use a custom PC res on mine of 1200x700 which fully fills the screen but ideally with practically zero overscan (lost video) via DVI-HDMI. Research into them before you decide particulary if PC connectivity is a big possible feature as many models have issues in this area.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the suggestions, gents.

37" sounds like the size I want - anything larger would be silly (currently, we have a 32" screen).

I'm not certain that I'll be going the HTPC route yet - I might just end up using an XBox 360 as an MCE extender.

It looks as though I'll be browsing the AV forum suggestions for a while.

Caporegime
OP
I had a look at the V40 over the weekend - The picture looks great, but ought I be concerned as to the lack of inputs - it appears to only have scart and component.

I'm still to find a shop that has an ambilight in stock to have a shufty.

As for the 42WLT58 - I take it the 37WLT58 is the same, only smaller. 42" is approaching silly size.

Back
Top Bottom