panosonic 37PE50B

Associate
panasonic 37PE50B

Hi all,does any one have the panny TH-37PE50B and can tell me if its a good plasma please.
Old tech i no,but my budget will only allow this much)
Ta for any info.

Last edited:
Associate
popeye said:
Hi all,does any one have the panny TH-37PE50B and can tell me if its a good plasma please.
Old tech i no,but my budget will only allow this much)
Ta for any info.

I havent got one myself, but based on the research I've done it is the best SD screen around.. Can be had for around £900 I think.

Associate
I bought one 2 weeks ago Popeye and all I can say is WOW :eek: .
This set is superb and I am really impressed with the performance that this gives on all kinds of viewing.
Freeview is very good and dvd playback via component is excellent aswell.
Over at the avforums you can check out what people think about this screen , most people say that if you have no interested in HD pictures then this screen is very very hard to beat and of course is available at some cracking prices if you shop around.

Drphibes

Soldato
Good sets indeed but really at this stage with the whole HD era finally getting ready to take off in the UK id be tempted to wait a little longer...

X360 PS3 Sky HD HD-DVD BLU-RAY = nuff said.
Having no interest in HD is a little silly but thats my opnion, why else you think people are wanting rid of their old tech flat panel models and prices of such screens will plummit this summer, heck theve already began to do so.

£1000+ should buy a decent proper HDTV these days 32"+

Last edited:
Soldato
Have a look at the PWD8 its the best SD screen about and i would take it over just about any HD LCD - different league. The PE50 is the TV version of this screen and its a blinder - the scaler is better in the PHD8 but for £900 the PE50 is a stunning buy.

The new 600 range of HD pannys is just out and seem to be quite a bit cheaper then the outgoing 500 series so worth checking out if you can stretch to one.

Associate
There are plenty of people who have no intention of shelling out for Sky's HD service Mr Latte.
You have to remember that many people are chuffed to own a 28 inch Beko tv and £30 Tesco dvd player :D .
HD is good for sure but like all new technologies it will take time for Joe public to embrace it mainly down to money.

Drphibes

Soldato
drphibes said:
There are plenty of people who have no intention of shelling out for Sky's HD service Mr Latte.
You have to remember that many people are chuffed to own a 28 inch Beko tv and £30 Tesco dvd player :D .
HD is good for sure but like all new technologies it will take time for Joe public to embrace it mainly down to money.

Drphibes

Ahhh but hold on, explain to me why someone should spend £900 as quoted above on a SD or EDTV rather than a HDTV ready one, at least its futureproofed? In a months time when these forums are alight with HD-DVD reviews (USA launch £300 player) and X360 already makes good use of one then it makes more sense. Err yes a SD tv with SD material is ALWAYS going to look better than a HDTV scaling the SD source...

My point was that if spending THAT amount of money a little more is money better spent. By all means you can compare your DVDs to my HD-DVDs Blu-Ray titles come later in the year anytime.

* You think you need SKY-HD for HDTV?
(counts his harddrives)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the 360 looks better on a SD panny plasma than it does on a HD Samsung LCD for a start. The take 720p and downscale fatasticallt well (better than taking a 480p signal)

I now know 2 Lcd buyers who have gone to SD plasmas and both have 360's aswell as Sky etc.

Resolution does not a good picture make.

Associate
Mr Latte said:
Ahhh but hold on, explain to me why someone should spend £900 as quoted above on a SD or EDTV rather than a HDTV ready one, at least its futureproofed? In a months time when these forums are alight with HD-DVD reviews (USA launch £300 player) and X360 already makes good use of one then it makes more sense. Err yes a SD tv with SD material is ALWAYS going to look better than a HDTV scaling the SD source...

My point was that if spending THAT amount of money a little more is money better spent. By all means you can compare your DVDs to my HD-DVDs Blu-Ray titles come later in the year anytime.

* You think you need SKY-HD for HDTV?
(counts his harddrives)

Like I said Mr Latte , Joe public is not that interested in the latest and greatest due to it carrying a price tag to match.
I cannot quote the figures but Freeview boxes outnumber cable and sky boxes in a big way and that is SD material and will be for a long time I would imagine.

And yes you can enjoy the benefits of HDTV by signing up to a newshosting service (more cost) and then you can fill up all those hard drives you own ;) .

Drphibes

Soldato
Shimmyhill said:
I now know 2 Lcd buyers who have gone to SD plasmas and both have 360's aswell as Sky etc.

Yep, add me to that list. I think SD plasma is the best all-round buy at the moment. Tried HD LCD but hated the performance on SD material, even DVDs. Pixelation, smearing, unnatural colours.

SD plasma looks great through an SD plasma screen, and I also agree that feeding it a 720P signal and letting the TV scale it gives the best results - its like free AA.

I'm very much on the fence when it comes to HD. I dont currently have a sky sub - I just pay a tenner a month for the plus facility, so I'd have to pay an extra 40 a month, and the material is very limited to start with. Sky sports doesnt really interest me that much (I prefer watching football at a stadium) and the movies have all been out on DVD/newsgroups well before they hit Sky. I know you can download ts streams etc, but I just cant be bothered - even with 8MB broadband the wait, coupled with the storage requirements is too long lol! When HD is broadasts on every channel, including freeview then I'll upgrade, but I reckon thats a couple of years away at least, and until then SD material will look better on an SD panel than a HD panel.

As I posted yesterday I feel a bit short changed by the broadcasters as it is. Planet earth showed how good an SD signal via satellite can be, and its 10x better than the standard material.

Back
Top Bottom