Is there anything I can use to protect alloy wheels?

Soldato
Well after about 20 months of owning my 306 i've finally pulled my finger out and bought some alloys to replace the 13" steelies.

Now this will probably be the only time i'll have all 4 wheels off the car and sat infront of me so it seems a good time to try and put some kind of protective coat on them.

On my bodywork its a simple case of ocasional polish then keep the wax topped up but what can I do (if anything) with my wheels?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question but i've never owned a set of alloys before :o :)

Thanks

Soldato
You can buy alloy wheel polish/wax, provides a coating that mostly stops tar and crap sticking to the wheel, time consuming, but well worth doing for the ease of cleaning next time around and probably protecting the wheel from stuff bonding to them.

Soldato
OP
Ah ok, didn't know there was specific stuff for alloys :o

Any recommendations for brands etc?

I don't mind putting in a bit of elbow grease because as I say how often do you get the chance to work on all 4 wheels with them off the car.

Soldato
lordrobs said:
Ah ok, didn't know there was specific stuff for alloys :o

Any recommendations for brands etc?

I don't mind putting in a bit of elbow grease because as I say how often do you get the chance to work on all 4 wheels with them off the car.

I believe the stuff ive got at home is Turtlewax and that worked great, sprayed it on, let it dry then had to polish it off. But come to think of it im sure on the Autoglym polish bottle it says it can be used on allow wheels, so im sure that'd be just fine.

Soldato
Squirt them with WD, my MX bike gets a liberal coating before I ride it most times, mud washes off easier.

Of course you might get it all over your brakes and die, but these are the risks we take for vanity.

Back
Top Bottom