Need Some Replacement 80mm Fans

Associate
Evening All

Im putting together a cheap(ish) PC, and ive managed to find a PSU i bought ages ago, problem is its a Q-Tec 400w and i remember stopping using it cos it was too noisy.

So, im going to change the two cooling fans inside. They are both 80mm, but the header is only 2 Wires, Red and Black, so i need two Totally Quiet fans to replace these with.

Can anyone recommend me a couple from the shop?

Soldato
In your position I would bin the q-tech and look at a combined case/psu from Antec, very good value for money and gives a nice new chassis to hide your cheap components in.

Associate
Q-Tec :eek:

Try the Akasa Ambers, or Vantec Stealths. They seem to be the most popular. :)

If you can afford to get a new PSU, I would adivse that instead.

Man of Honour
nuclear5zz.jpg

Associate
OP
I know they are pants, but i dont want to spend any more money on this thing, it was supposed to be built from spare parts!

It will do for now, if its really not upto it i might replace it, but til then just need a couple of quieter fans for it.

Ive looked all over the site, and i can find only 3 Pin fans, anyone tell me where i can get 2 Pin ones?

Edit: ROFL at that pic :)

Soldato
Just as long as you're aware that if it does pop, it's most likely not just the PSU you'll end up replacing, but potentially half of your tower (hard drives, RAM and CPUs the most susceptible to damage, but also your motherboard, graphics card and optical drives are open to damage).

Associate
The Akasa Ambers come with a converter so you can attach them to a PSU dongle.

I had a Q-Tec PSU die on me; it didn't go pop, it just stopped working. It borked my motherboard, a hard drive and a stick of RAM :(

Associate
OP
Well, it seems all is not good with the Q-Tec! I think after all your warnings, i did right in ordering a new case.

I got a cheap case with a 400w PSU in there, not sure on the brand but it should be better than the Q-Tec. The case was only £30, considering it was going to be maybe £10 for just 2 fans, money well spent i think!

So everyone should be happy now, the Q-Tec shant be used :)

Associate
scott.holmes said:
Well, it seems all is not good with the Q-Tec! I think after all your warnings, i did right in ordering a new case.

I got a cheap case with a 400w PSU in there, not sure on the brand but it should be better than the Q-Tec. The case was only £30, considering it was going to be maybe £10 for just 2 fans, money well spent i think!

So everyone should be happy now, the Q-Tec shant be used :)

You'd be surprised how many £30 cases come with Q-Tecs, lol :eek: :D

Soldato
scott.holmes you tight git have you bought one of those ANTEC Case/PSU combos yet? ;)

Fair enough making a PC from spare parts but for the price of a new PSU you could get one of these?

Antec_SLK1650B.jpg

£46.94

Associate
OP
Im not new, ive been working with PCs for many years :)

And i do listen, i listen a lot. However, i cant afford to spend much more on it, so this will keep me going for now. If i find its not, next payday will be here soon and i can upgrade the PSU :)

But to get it all installed and tested, the one that comes with the case should be fine, as long as its not Q-Tec that is!

Back
Top Bottom