Alloys for a 1998 Peugeot 106

Soldato
ok so im all confused with alloys, about the offset etc etc etc. Anyway, wants the max realistic size alloys i could fit on a newest style 106. I was hoping for 16" but not sure.

Also, with the offset etc, ive seen lots of numbers like 195 x 65 x 15 or something (made that up). How do i know if its right for my car?

Soldato
Vicious said:
ok so im all confused with alloys, about the offset etc etc etc. Anyway, wants the max realistic size alloys i could fit on a newest style 106. I was hoping for 16" but not sure.

Also, with the offset etc, ive seen lots of numbers like 195 x 65 x 15 or something (made that up). How do i know if its right for my car?

my friend had some 16" (diameter of the wheel) TSW Evo R's on his 1997 106 gti with 195/45/R16 (this is the tyre size, not the wheel offset) conti sportcontact tyres. They fitted ok, but the arches scrubbed when he went over large bumps.

Caporegime
Used to have some 16" Fox alloys on my saxo, gave great grip but that car used to tramline all the time and the PAS pump started to fail.

I would stick to some 15" alloys if i was you.

Can't remember the name of the wheels.....

195/40/R16

DSCF0002.JPG

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
On a base model you definately don't want more than 15" wheels with 45 profile tyres, and even with that it might rub. With a quicksilver/rallye/gti then you can go upto 16" but you will need 40 profile tyres which are very expensive. I'd just stick with 15" and 195/45 tyres to be honest.

Soldato
OP
ok, il be body kitting it end of may hopefully which will include some arch's

what difference is there between the lesser models n higher models for wheel size?

edit, so i all i gotta do is make sure the alloys have 195/45 and im sorted

also im assuming all of the mk2 106's have the 4 stud wheels?

2nd edit: i intend to lower the car when body kit is on so on that basis should i stick to 15's

Last edited:
Soldato
Vicious said:

what difference is there between the lesser models n higher models for wheel size?

Quiksilver/Rallye/GTI have higher rear arches because of the kit arch extensions, whilst the base models have flatter rear arches.

I have 195/40/R16 Continental Sportcontact2s on my Quiksilver and have no problem with aquaplaning or handling in the wet. Dunlop SP9000s were renowned for failures and manufacturing problems, which is why they stopped producing them for a while not long back.

Last edited:

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Vicious said:

edit, so i all i gotta do is make sure the alloys have 195/45 and im sorted

also im assuming all of the mk2 106's have the 4 stud wheels?

2nd edit: i intend to lower the car when body kit is on so on that basis should i stick to 15's

The rear arch is lower on the non-kitted models, if you fitted a gti kit then you would trim the metal behind and therefore wouldn't have that problem anymore. Although I think the suspension is a lot more soggy on the base-models so when there's people in the back it is more prone to rubbing.

It will be 4 stud as long as it is a power steering model, non-power steering models still had 3 stud wheels.

Soldato
OP
yeh ive got power steering so it will be 4 stud

i was looking at a body kit that has arches on it, so i assume they can be fitted but wtih a little bit of body work modification, il talk to the garage who will do it soon about that.

someone in my car club (sussex carz) has a pug 106 zest, and has 18's fitted to it lol so i think with the new arches im sorted. im being tempted by 17's now :p

Soldato
OP
lol maybe, im doing this car up with lots of stuff, then maybe drop a new engine in at some point, or if im happy with performance keep it till im bit older and get something far better but il probably just get 16's

Caporegime
Its highly regarded that 16's with 40 profile tyres are one of the best combinations of wheels/tyres for the 106 platform. They provide good grip and handling, as well as not increasing overall diameter that much (think there was a few % between my 14's with a 55 profile and my 16's with a 40).

17" upwards will screw your acceleration and handling totally.

15's or 16's (if you get expensive 40 profile tyres) for the win.

Associate
Vicious said:
someone in my car club (sussex carz) has a pug 106 zest, and has 18's fitted to it
hahahahahahahahahah....................... breathe........... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.........................
why?

Back
Top Bottom