the problem with eating healthy..

Associate
Ok so lately (the past month) ive become part of a gym going 3-4 times a week and loving the feeling im getting from exercise. But when it comes to eating Im a choccy and take-away addict. why does it have to be that the most convenient and lazy-friendly foods are the worst for ya? Anyone got any tips on how to stay away from these kinda foods?
I have little willpower and even less ability to cook. So what works for all you healthy people out there?

Soldato
You want somthing starchy and weighty so that you don't feel cheated, also rather than an instant cut out of tasty snackettes, ween yourself off them. If you feel hungry btw eat an orange or a lemon, it tarts your mouth so you don't really feel hungry after it. :)

Soldato
Learn to cook :p

Once you get into it you'll wonder why you bothered getting a take-away!

Learn to make omelettes, tuna pasta bake, spag bol, chilli con carne, all take 30mins tops to prepare and cook and are so much nicer! Plus with stuff like spag bol you can make tons and pop it in the freezer later.

Associate
OP
guess i gotta get me a cook book! i swear every time i pass a maccy D's i wanna drive through and get a mcflurry! I've tried the eating fruit thing....i ate 4 applies in the space of 2 hours lol, i guess sometimes I just have the urge to eat something savoury or something really calorie filled!

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
The other problem with eating healthily is that it costs so much.

Burger from Maccy D's which would fill you up = £1.99 (sometimes)

Salad from supermarket = £2.99

And they are always on at you to eat healthily.

Also, why is everything on that horrible brown grainy bread, yuk I know white is bad for you but there isn't much choice out there in the world of healthy foods. :o

BB x

Soldato
BrightonBelle said:

Also, why is everything on that horrible brown grainy bread, yuk I know white is bad for you but there isn't much choice out there in the world of healthy foods. :o

BB x

The price of food has increased dramatically in the last 10 years, I can remember the cupboards and fridge being bare and the mam going for the big shop at about £80-100 and that lasting a month. I severely doubt you could get the same amount of stuff.

Prepacked veg is always a terrible price, but raw ingredients are ok. For things like rice and pasta we get down costco or somwhere and buy a big sack. :D

Caporegime
BrightonBelle said:

Trans, saturated fats and refined sugars are not filling up - they're just bloating.

BrightonBelle said:
If you buy a pre-packed salad. Which you shouldn't, as the dressing is probably highly processed too.

BrightonBelle said:

Also, why is everything on that horrible brown grainy bread, yuk I know white is bad for you but there isn't much choice out there in the world of healthy foods.
You can eat healthily without eating like a bullimic rabbit on speed.

Try to eat fresh food, leave out the processed stuff (including pre-packaged meals, whether they say they are healthy or not), drop the high-sugar, high-fat snacks (biccies and the like), eat fruit, nuts and the like.

It's a piece of cake (don't eat cake) when you put some thought into it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Food is good, but supermarkets and manufacturers dictate what we eat with pricing and additives.

Our bodies don't help - fast food - quick high - semi satisfied - want more.

- healthy food - takes time to kick in - satisfied when full - can wait for next meal.

You gotta think long term here. All those trans-fats build up. If you're a gym regular, you can burn it off. Stop going to the gym and don't change your diet and you'll get porky again.

So change your diet while you can. If you make little changes now - wholemeal bread instead of white, smaller portion sizes, chew your food properly etc, you will ween yourself back to healthy food options.

Think of a really good dump you had, no smell, no pain, feeling of acheivement afterwards. This was probably down to a good all round diet.

I've forgotton my point, so i'll end now.

Soldato
Its shocking how when i read threads that adults dont know how to cook. I can just about make beans on toast but i got an exscuse of my mum doing it.
But when i leave home i will be cooking all the time and none of that 2 minutes to cook carp.
If i dont have time to cook then u dont deserve to eat :p

Soldato
what i find is, it take a bit more time to cook a half decent meal, which is what i have on weekends.

say on a weekend i have a takeaway, it takes no time to prepare, but that's when i have the most free time ! :p

might switch and have takeaways on weekdays ! :)

Associate
Recently i've been trying to be more healthy

Eating one boil in a bag mixed veg (2 person serving) with meals 3 times a week at least... then i try to eat rice a couple of times a week too.

Suspended
Buy a wok. Buy fresh vegetables and whatever meat takes your fancy - chicken, pork, beef, prawns all work well. Buy some of those Amoy straight-to-wok noodles and a few sachets of stir-fry sauce.

Fry the meat in your wok in a little oil for a few minutes. Add the vegetables (chopped up small) and the sauce, and stir-fry it for another couple of minutes. Add the noodles and stir-fry for a final minute, and then serve.

Easy, quick, delicious and not too bad for you!

Edit: As Rich L said, learn to make things like spag bol, chilli con carne etc. Practically anything that follows the 'meat in sauce' formula is incredibly quick and easy to cook.

Back
Top Bottom