Pc Problem

Associate
I have a pc 2800+ athlon xp 512mb ram 80gb hard drive. problem being every time it try to run more then one process the machine shuts down and i have to power it off and on again. this happens over the smalles thing a pop up openingor the opening of more then one folder. the power supply is a 300w and the graohics card is running off the motherboards power any help in what this may be and how to fix it would be much appreciated

Soldato
could be all manner of problems, are you overclocking at all, you could also try memtest to check your memory is ok. Could be the PSU but sounds like a windows problem.

Associate
OP
nope not over clokin have not tested the ram. even though that is what think it may be it should be mb or processor as i have had them both swapped resently. and the error should not be software as there is no error message on shut down

Associate
This is no solution, but have you tried resetting the MB bios settings to default?

If you actually swapped the Mobo and Cpu without re-installing Windows that could cause a lot of problems. Unless the MB was identical to the one it replaced?

Last edited:
Permabanned
When you changed the motherboard did you reformat?
If you didn't this could be why.

What is the cpu temp?

Associate
OP
nope did a full restore the machine has been the bail of my existance for the last 3 weeks it isa friends that i said i would sort out i'm swing in towards it being a memory error but that just dosen't semm right as the fault would normally show on boot up and with this is get's into windows temp is only about 30-40c

Associate
OP
it's not been on the net since the restore and i haven't even got as far as installin any off the third party pieces of software. the weird thing is it will get through the windows install no problem it is after that the error starts to happen

Soldato
If the temps are ok, then it has got to be a memory or windows problem. The only other thing it could be is the HDD (as it dumps into the swapfile to make room for the 2nd process). Try swapping out the hdd or reducing the swapfile.

Soldato
sounds more power orientated (spelling) to me.

Weird though the fact you could install windows without any issues. Windows re-install in itself can often show up issues with hardware.

Any weird noises coming from the chipset at all that you can hear?

Associate
OP
there is absolutely nothin i tested the power supply and it was working perfectly fine( and it was working fine before the mother board swap). one thing though i'm glad to know that this has got everyone else stumped as well as me.

Associate
OP
the really funny thing is that i have swapped every thing except the memry and graphics card. and as this can't be a graphics card error it must be done to memeory but this is not the typical memeory error you would get.

Back
Top Bottom