All those wanting a bandwidth controller!

Soldato
It's bandwidth capping software for windows, doesn't do proper prioritising AFAIK. Downstream-wise it's NO better than the current BSD/Linux solutions - ie. FAR less than perfect.
It appears to calculate bandwidth based upon tcp/ip packet size - again a far from ideal solution but since it is the ONLY windows solution - it's not all bad :)
Conclusion: Good for experimenting with, almost equal to the BSD solution, but a Linux-based dsl_qos_queue solution will still outclass it by quite a margin.

Last edited:
Associate
nice one, ive always wanted one of these to stop other computers eating up bandwidth on my connection, youd think such a simple program would be common but it was no where!
cheers :D

Soldato
seemed to do the job for me, downloading splinter cell demo at 27.5kb/s and playing dod with a ping of 40-60 :D

edit - ping seems to be 80-100 on busier servers, but it doesent spike so its still very playable

Last edited:
Soldato
help.jpg

:( :(

Anyone know what i could do to fix it?

sik

sik

Permabanned
Originally posted by Acolyte
help.jpg

:( :(

Anyone know what i could do to fix it?

Wait for the next beta, or reinstall Windows, it maybe that your Windows Kernal is messed up, or the Beta can't find something that should be there.

Soldato
Originally posted by Sone
seemed to do the job for me, downloading splinter cell demo at 27.5kb/s and playing dod with a ping of 40-60 :D

edit - ping seems to be 80-100 on busier servers, but it doesent spike so its still very playable

how does that work?
something to do in the way packets are sent?

if its even slightly over that ping will turn to rubish?

Soldato
Originally posted by Acolyte
how does that work?
something to do in the way packets are sent?

if its even slightly over that ping will turn to rubish?

i upped the limit to 40,000 bps and it made gameing unusable, pings wern't to bad, but it was spiking like crazy, if i limit it to 20,000 i get perfect gaming even on busy servers, but 30,000 seems to be a good compromise of ping vs download speed

Soldato
Originally posted by Lostie
It's bandwidth capping software for windows, doesn't do proper prioritising AFAIK. Downstream-wise it's NO better than the current BSD/Linux solutions - ie. FAR less than perfect.
It appears to calculate bandwidth based upon tcp/ip packet size - again a far from ideal solution but since it is the ONLY windows solution - it's not all bad :)
Conclusion: Good for experimenting with, almost equal to the BSD solution, but a Linux-based dsl_qos_queue solution will still outclass it by quite a margin.

And confirms my point that Windows was fully capable of this all along.

I'm sure this product will develop into a well respected bandwidth manager. And looking on the 'Future Enhancements' section of the website has this line:

"June 2003
Configurable filter queue sizes. This will effectively give control over latency vs packet loss. "

.. seems to suggest something along the lines of your beloved Linux dsl_qos_queue :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Sone

Just use a download manager like Get Right.
Set it to throttle your downloads @ whatever speed you like.

Soldato
Originally posted by nathan_e
"June 2003
Configurable filter queue sizes. This will effectively give control over latency vs packet loss. "

.. seems to suggest something along the lines of your beloved Linux dsl_qos_queue :)
It's called playing catch up, but until it calculates TRUE bandwidth (eg. ATM frames for ADSL rather than TCP/IP) then it will remain nowhere near as good :)

Vai

Vai

Soldato
Excellent, I am going to install this on my server now :)

How much is this slowing your download and upload speeds by?

Associate
this program completley screwed up my comp. It was asking me about the page file and all sorts. As soon as I booted in safe mode and unistalled it everything was fine.

btw i'm running xp without sp1

Back
Top Bottom