Question about a fly?

Soldato
Ok so a fly is in flight in a car that is travelling at 80mph, since the fly isn't actually touching the car as such. Does it have to fly 80mph in the same direction to avoid being splatted against the back window? :)

Soldato
the back window? It owuld be splattered on the front window before it made it to the back, no way a fly can go 80mph lol.

Soldato
Clarkey said:
the back window? It owuld be splattered on the front window before it made it to the back, no way a fly can go 80mph lol.

The fly is already in the car before it starts travelling...

My answer is a question, do you run at 80mph when in a car?

Man of Honour
PaulStat said:
Ok so a fly is in flight in a car that is travelling at 80mph, since the fly isn't actually touching the car as such. Does it have to fly 80mph in the same direction to avoid being splatted against the back window? :)
:/

Does the air inside the car move at 80mph to avoid being left behind?

No it does not.

Do you have to move at 80mph to keep up with the car?

No you do not.

Whats with all the inane questions these days? :confused:

Sic

Sic

Soldato
i started reading this and thought "what's with all the questions about speed and whatnot?!" but it's actually a fun question. and why would it fly into the front? if a car was moving forward at 80mph and a fly was hovering then it'd get hit by the back window, surely?

Gilly said:
Do you have to move at 80mph to keep up with the car?

no, but because you're sat on the seat, you're being pulled along by the car, so the car is making you move 80mph. if you were floating in the car and it started moving, i'm fairly sure you'd go through the back window. unfortunately, i cant recreate this to prove it.

Soldato
thats like saying when your in a plane thats at exactly the speed of sound in flight, if you get up and walk from one end to the other, have you personally just gone fast then the speed of sound

Soldato
you've just got to remember that all speed is relative. In a car, all of its contents are moving at 0mph relative to the car, but the car is moving 80mph relative to the road. So the fly will be flying at its normal speed, but relative to the road it will be its relative speed to the car + cars speed to the road. :D

Soldato
Hmmm.

I reckon while the car was accelerating the fly would have to match the cars acceleration to stay in one place, but once the car was travelling at a steady pace it could fly around as normal. Alternatively it could land and let the car body accelerate it instead!

Think about if you are throwing a tennis ball in the air in a car - if the car accelerates while the ball is in the air the ball moves to the back of the car. Likewise if the car brakes suddenly when the ball is in the air it moves to the front.

Could be totally wrong though :p

Man of Honour
Sic said:
no, but because you're sat on the seat, you're being pulled along by the car, so the car is making you move 80mph. if you were floating in the car and it started moving, i'm fairly sure you'd go through the back window. unfortunately, i cant recreate this to prove it.
When an astronaut is floating in his shuttle in space is he having to hold on to stop himself being propelled through the back wall?

Man of Honour
If the car set off from a standstill and the fly was hovering in the car, it would get splatted on the back windscreen. Even though the fly is 'inside' the car, it is not connected to it therefore is hovering in a constant position in space. The speed of the air has nothing to do with it as I flys wings do not rely on airspeed to fly.

So the fly is hovering inside the car, what if you removed the roof? The fly is outside the car. Forget about airspeeds and whatnot as it is technically irrelevant.

Read up on the conservation of momentum and inertia principles.

Soldato
Well yeh it's inertia. If you had all the windows open then perhaps the fly would have to keep up with the car's speed.
If you think that its already travelling at 80mph default, then any speed ontop of that would be the ms-². Which we all know is accelaration :) (Change in velocity over the time taken for change)

Permabanned
Rich_L said:
Hmmm.

I reckon while the car was accelerating the fly would have to match the cars acceleration to stay in one place, but once the car was travelling at a steady pace it could fly around as normal. Alternatively it could land and let the car body accelerate it instead!

Think about if you are throwing a tennis ball in the air in a car - if the car accelerates while the ball is in the air the ball moves to the back of the car. Likewise if the car brakes suddenly when the ball is in the air it moves to the front.

Could be totally wrong though :p

Nope - you're right.

In fact, its a derivation of this (but with light beams) that gives one of the simplest derivations of time dilation in special relativity.

Back
Top Bottom