First Car ideas, Part Deux!

Soldato
Hi,

I think the time is right now to start looking for a car.

Im only 17 and my Test is coming up very soon.

I've been on this part of the forums before and came up with a focus.
but is there any other cars that would be good?

I've done lots of insurence qoutes and 1.6 focus seems the best although it only £50 more than a 1.4 engine which is surposed to be pap!

Ive got about 7k on the car I also have about £2.6k for insurence and tax etc. Ive been saving lots.

Just wondering is there any other cars out there for that price range that are decent.
I like Ford cars as I also im intitled to ford Privilege so I get some money off there parts and also there parts are usally cheap.

I would like something decent and would last 3-4 years maybe.

Although where I work I don't need to use the car as its 5mins up the road so just need something that gets a-b and is decent, with decent looks and handling.

Also am I thinking right that when insuring car if I only tick domestic driving and not domestic and comuting, will this usally lower my insurence?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
I think Focus is probably the best suited, other than that maybe a fiesta zetec-s or even a newer ST (not sure how much you can get these for now?). But the better size of the focus would appeal to me more, unless you can find a nice zetec-s in that lovely blue/purple they did!

Soldato
OP
Seen loads of Fiesta Sts for around 10k but I could get a brand new one for that price. Besides my mum owns mk6 fiesta ghia and the interior does seem rather tacky. Although never driving it though but I'd rather have a focus or another car thats bit bigger and won't depreciate in a year.

Caporegime
First comment would be : (Standard Textbook stuff)

Odds are you will crash your first car, like magpies we like nice new shiny things but you must resist, keep your money get a T Plate fiesta 1.25 run that for a year get some no claims and some experiance then get a nicer car.

I know its boring but its the best way of doing things.

Oh and make sure your insured under your own name, otherwise you will still be driving round in a 1.4 focus come 28......

Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
get a T Plate fiesta 1.25

SHOCK HORROR! :p

I totally agree with what you are saying but ...

I will have a look in autotrader see whats going about and see what prices fiesta are going at.

cheers

*EDIT* Hmm they are quiet cheap mk4 for about £1.5k hmmm

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Go ahead and get the car you want - It's not stupidly fast or anything and as you have saved up your hard-earned why not?

My car is I'd say faster than average for a 17 year olds first car and I've done tonnes of miles and not crashed.

Soldato
Think about whether you want to spend the full £7k. I would say perhaps only spend about £5k which will still get you a nice focus, with insurance at £1500 max I'm guessing, that would leave you with a couple of grand which you can use to start saving for your next car...

Soldato
9761 said:
I wish the insurence was that low, I cannot even get a 1.1 fiesta for that insurence. focus is about 2k

With pass plus insurance on a focus 1.6 should be around 1200, with fully comp at 2k ish. Try admiral and elephant, then phone norwish union and direct line/endsleigh (because theyve no pass plus button on there site). Then if any of the insurers without the button on there site quote you lowest, whine that not having the pass plus button on there site is ridiculous and it makes you miss out on the 10% online discount, which they'll eventually give to you!

Good luck!

Soldato
Go with something that wont lose value but that you can afford to lose.

I got a 96 reg Polo 1.6 GLX, insurance was £1500, car was 2K... and i'll probably sell it for not much less than that.. (not that im selling it)

Damn good car as far as bang for buck, touch wood nothing goes wrong.

Soldato
Chris1712 said:
With pass plus insurance on a focus 1.6 should be around 1200, with fully comp at 2k ish. Try admiral and elephant, then phone norwish union and direct line/endsleigh (because theyve no pass plus button on there site). Then if any of the insurers without the button on there site quote you lowest, whine that not having the pass plus button on there site is ridiculous and it makes you miss out on the 10% online discount, which they'll eventually give to you!

Good luck!

I got insurance on my 1.6 Focus at 17 for £1500 with pass plus, thats fully comp aswell.

My 1999 pre-facelift with 50k miles cost me £4k. Thats a Zetec with climate pack.

Soldato
OP
Ive just seen a lovely focus for sale on another forum, Its lovely but it has had loads of mods done and thats what worrys me.

Its been done up but not to a chavistic style.

basically its a 1.6 focus and the owner has done it up to look like ST170 which I like the styling of. But the thing that gets me is:
ST170 Snorkel
K&N Panel Filter
Superchips Bluefin
Black diamond front and rear brake pads
Lowered 35mm on Eibach Pro Springs
ST170 17” 15 spoke alloys with contisport contact tyres (215/45/17)

I can get insured on the 1.6 but I don't no about these mods. Would you think I could get insured with these on it?

cheers

Soldato
is there anything your looking for? or just want to spend less money?

I got a 1.2 corsa, cost me 1.5k, but the insurance is ONLY £354 for my first years insurance (this was the year I passed my test, I was 20 tho).

you may find that mod make the insurance go up even if they don't effect performace that much

Back
Top Bottom