Car tax - The law

Transmission breaker
Don
The car im picking up today is un-taxed..

Apparently i cannot book the car in for a fake MOT anymore, as they are all logged to the DVLA when booked (local garage told me this)

But, as the car is currently un-taxed and not on a SORN, until the DVLA are notified, i am not responsible for any road tax penalty? Is this correct? If so i can drive home with confidence that I wont get fined :p

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
chopchop said:
and give the other guy a fine ? naughty!

cant you insure it and ask for a cover note to be sent asap?

I have the insurance sorted, cover note is in the post. Officially im covered.

RE: Morals? The guy didnt sorn the car when he should, didnt renew the tax. Now he wants me to collect it?
I fail to see how this is my fault :p

Soldato
Malt_Vinegar said:
I have the insurance sorted, cover note is in the post. Officially im covered.

RE: Morals? The guy didnt sorn the car when he should, didnt renew the tax. Now he wants me to collect it?
I fail to see how this is my fault :p

How far a drive will you have to do?

Man of Honour
So you buy a car off some guy and have no problems at all stiffing him for any fines YOU may incur by driving it illegally?

Pathetic.

Soldato
surely the cover note will be void (if you get stopped)as the car cant legally be used on the road and once the guy has filled out the slip on the reg doc, then you will be the one that get the fine for no tax not him( he will have done all that is legally required of him when he sells a car)
i cant see that you can say until the DVLA have got the new details he`s the one that gets the fines

Associate
I'd be worried about taking the car full stop. If its not be declared SORN and isn't taxed I wouldn't be surprised when you do get tax that they make you pay from the date the last lot of tax ran out.

I would be ringing the DVLA or someone and checking on things first if it were me.

edit: I'm still learning to spell :(

Soldato
Malt_Vinegar said:

Apparently i cannot book the car in for a fake MOT anymore, as they are all logged to the DVLA when booked (local garage told me this)

But, as the car is currently un-taxed and not on a SORN, until the DVLA are notified, i am not responsible for any road tax penalty? Is this correct? If so i can drive home with confidence that I wont get fined :p
why not phone your local police station and tell them you will be driving from point A to point B and give them the time and date.
at least if you're unlucky enough to be stopped it shows you've attempted to show you're not driving all over the place without a tax disc.
tbh i don't even know if the above would guarantee you a break from an over-zealous plod.
personally if you know anyone at all connected to the motor trade of you can borrow their trade plates+offer him a tenner for the favour.
Dogbreath said:
If you go past a ANPR van you will get pulled and then you may well be liable for back tax...
he'd be liable for tax due before he purchased the vehicle?

Soldato
Just tax the thing before you pick it up!!! Last time I had to do this I changed my insurance over, got the new covernote couriered to me. Paid for the car, took the docs to a local post office and bought the tax. Alternatively just get a friendly motor trader to do it as all they will need is V5, MOT Cert and Their Insurance Cert.

Soldato
My 330d was untaxed when I bought it. I went and got it taxed the same day.

From what I remmebr there were other cars at the trader's showroom that were untaxed. I assume there are different rules for traders, so that they can have cars untaxed? Or would they have been SORN'd?

Soldato
I bought my 330d un-taxed from Car Giant. I was advised to drive it home and get it sorted the next day.

You will have to wait for the insurance certificate to come through in the post, and you will need the MOT certificate too.

Transmission breaker
Don
OP
lol, it turns out it was Sorn.

I took the risk and drove it home :)

I did ask the guy, to make sure it was on the sorn. I didnt actually want to stitch the bloke up. (hence the smiley and the Bold "I")

So, its home and tucked up till the covernote turns up so i can get the tax sorted :D

Associate
Malt_Vinegar said:

According to the garage I use for my MOT's the vehicles aren't logged when booked, only when they are due to be MOT'd (read: driven into the MOT bay). I use a local garage for MOT's (I work with my dad as a mechanic at his business but we don't do MOT's ourselves) so I have a fairly good idea of how the new system works, so i'd say it sounds like your garage is talking cobblers :p . Of course, they could operate in a different way but from what I've heard you can only log the car in that you're about to MOT.

Associate
Joe T said:
My 330d was untaxed when I bought it. I went and got it taxed the same day.

From what I remmebr there were other cars at the trader's showroom that were untaxed. I assume there are different rules for traders, so that they can have cars untaxed? Or would they have been SORN'd?
SORN doesn't apply to traders. The V5 has a part which is filled out to tell the DVLA that the car has been sold/transferred to a dealer, from there on your name will still be on the V5 (as dealers don't generally put their names in the V5) but you will no longer get SORN or tax reminders. It will them be changed to the new owner when the car is sold.

Back
Top Bottom