Someone reccommend me an RTS...

Soldato
I'm bored. I want something that I can play now and then in short bursts and is challenging and interesting...

I don't have massive amounts of spare time but I do find the occaisional game relaxing... I have always had a soft spot for RTS and my favourite game must be Starcraft so get suggesting...

Caporegime
Z: Steel Soldiers.

I'm forever recommending this. I like it, if only because the resource dynamic is different to most RTS. Instead of mining or collecting resources, you capture land. More land => more cash.

It also means that the games turn out a bit quicker, as once the tide turns you can push down quite hard on the enemy.

Soldato
Cueball said:
Command & Conquer Red Alert.

Accept no subsitutes.
Pfft. PFFFFFFT!!
TA > RA.

But yes, I'd agree with Rome: Total War. It has fantastic replay value (due to there being no pre-made campaign, and no plot).

Basically It's a combination of RTS and TBS; the TBS element manifests itself in the campaign map, where you oversee your whole empire (the map spans from Britain down to the Northern coast of Africa, and from Portugal, to Israel), governing your cities, finances, moving armies around regions etc.

The RTS element happens when one of your armies encounters an enemy's army. The screen goes from the Campaign map to the battlemap (the map you fight on is relative to where your army was on the campaign map, so if your army was next to a river, you'll be fighting next to a river in the battle map). From here you can control your army's individual units (a unit typically consisting of about 70 men, depending on its type), put them in formations etc. Battles can get pretty big sometimes, I've had battles of 2000+ men :)

Permabanned
Cueball said:
Command & Conquer Red Alert.

Accept no subsitutes.

no substitutes eh???

there has only ever been 1 truly brilliant and properly balanced RTS, and in an RTS, balance is all important. its been rated the best RTS of all time and is still played by many people online today, and quitehonestly im ashamed of you all for not even mentioning it.

It is of course... Total Annihilation.

also the spiritual successor to this 1997 game comes out in january 2007 "supreme Commander"

the graphics although not shiny are still entertaining, get the expansion packs (which are free, i can get you them) and your in for a hell of a lot of fun. hell you can even play me if you think your good enough :p

i used to play on an online system called boneyards, on which the 2 sides of the game (the ARM and the CORE) would go at it for control of a system of planets, with its own ranking system to boot. my name was Morpheus82 and i was a Core Commander.

10 years ive been playing this game, these days primarily with the TAUIP expansion (also free) ive got just about every RTS game thats ever come out as im RTS nutts, but nothings ever entertained me as much as Total Annihilation, its the only one that never gets put back on the shelf as my friends and i are always playing it :)

so, you want to start playing RTS ? then start with the best, the rest are all just hollow shells with flashy graphics.

just wait till you lock on with a few long range cannons and a couple of hundred bombers, tomcats and Hawk fighters :) youl never go back...

Soldato
locutus12 said:
no substitutes eh???

there has only ever been 1 truly brilliant and properly balanced RTS, and in an RTS, balance is all important. its been rated the best RTS of all time and is still played by many people online today, and quitehonestly im ashamed of you all for not even mentioning it.
Inquisitor said:
Pfft. PFFFFFFT!!
TA > RA.
:p

But yes, I agree, TA is without a doubt one of the finest RTSs ever created :)

Back
Top Bottom