dead mobo?

Soldato
hi guys built my mate a rig this weekend

Asrock dual agp/pci 939 mobo as he wanted ot use his existing 6800gt AGP

now the thing is when i power on, all fans spin up etc, power/HD light show on

but no beeps, no post

What are the possible problems? I think its a dead mobo as i cant get it to beep at all, even by removing graphics card, memory etc

Just asking for some advice on what the problem might be

Cheers

Associate
Make sure you have the 4 pin and 24 pin connectors connected up properly to the motherboard and check that all other connections are securely connected.

Associate
Check the PSU is good. I built a 64-bit PC where "all the fans spun up".... in my case, the problem was caused by the PSU which had a faulty 12v-P4 connector (that small yellow and black 4 pin one...). Replaced the PSU, and PC was fine. :)

Soldato
OP
well thing i s i built 2 pc's that weekend

antec sonata 2 cases, the other one was more powerful in that it had a x1800xt so power wise the psu is defo good enough.

My mate has the motherboard back from the company and they say it isnt faulty, i guess faulty PSU is possible as im now stumped on what else it could be

just to clarify without sounding like a jerk, i do know how to build a pc, and i checked connections wires several several times trying to get the dam thing to even beep at me, let alone post.

anyone suggest anything else, its a pain getting mixxed up in other peoples pc's, but hey :) any help much appreciated

Associate
BAcon - like you, I am also an expert PC constructor. So I was completly fooled by the problem I had with my PSU when it happened. :eek:

This was a quality Tagan PSU which had been running fine in a Socket A system where that P4 12V connector was not required. Well above the power requirements of the new system.

When I connected it all up, and hit the on switch, the fans spun.. but nothing else. No drives rattling on startup, no monitor or graphics, no beeps. The only beeps that did appear were from a fan controller warning me that the fans were running slow. PSU still worked perfect in the old Socket A system..... just went mad in the Socket 939 one.

I had a spare, cheapo PSU with a P4 12V connector which I then connected up - and all worked fine. So I RMA'd the Tagan and problem solved. They confirmed the error in the shop, and sent me a replacement.

So some errors can be bizzarre. Best bet is to take as many "swap" parts round to your mate as possible. Then swap each part in turn until you locate the "bad" bit. This includes silly things like the PSU itself...

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yeh mate, appreciate the suggestion, after that i found my sapre antec 430 mate and tryed that, was a faulty PSU like you said

hes using my PSU for now, least its sorted

thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom