Chinese Performance Artist In Newcastle This Weekend

Soldato
I recieved the following information at work and I think it could be rather interesting. Thought I'd post it on here so any locals can come along and have a look as well as see what people think of this type of art....

17:30 Saturday 11 March 2006 - 17:30 Sunday 12 March 2006

The Atrium, Central Square, Forth Street, Newcastle Upon Tyne - Free Admission.

He Yunchang will write the two Chinese characters that form the words "Dragon Fish" on the ground then run around them in a circle for 24 hours continuously.

With the head of the dragon and the body of a fish, the dragon fish is one of the nine sons of the legendary dragon of Chinese mythology.

In a remarkable feat of physical endurance, China's leading performance artist, He Yonchang, will perform his new work dragon fish in Newcastle this weekend. This will be a unique live presentation of the latest work in a series of physically extreme performances with which He Yonchang has been testing his own endurance and persistence for over 10 years. This has included having himself cast inside a concrete block for 24 hours, wrestling 100 people in 66 minutes and staring at a 10,000 watts of light for an hour.

Whilst running in a circle around dragon fish he will be attached to a fine cord, one end of which will be fixed high above him in the atrium of Central Square, the other end will be attached to his naked body by a sub-clavicle (behind the collar bone) piercing. This rare and unusual piercing will be undertaken 2 days before the performance by the world-renowned body piercer, Sarge, at Metal Fatigue in Bournemouth, UK.

This event is open to visitors at any time over the 24 hour performance.

He Yonchang is artist in residence with amino in partnership with Arts Council England, North East as part of their ongoing exchange work between the North East of England and Beijing, China.

www.amino.org.uk

Soldato
OP
No-one interested in an old naked chinese man attached to the ceiling by piercings then? :p

Ah well... thats what I get for trying to provide a bit of art to the forum! :p

Permabanned
Last I heard, Sarge was refusing to do any more sub-clavicals...

Kelly, or whomever - can you please take LOTS of pics? :)

*n

Back
Top Bottom