Correct on/off techique projector

Soldato
Ok my p/t job is pat testing, so we go around schools offices etc testing things that are pluged in, this includes projectors.

Now we do an operations test which means powering up the projector for 5-10 seconds, now this isn't following the correct turn on off procedures for projectors, but does this procedure only apply when the lamps are hot so the fan stays on to cool them down? Or is this infact potentially damaging the projecter. There is a debate going on at work to change this 5-10 secs power on, but only if it is damaging.

So OCUK can this damage the projector?

Soldato
cymatty said:
Ok my p/t job is pat testing, so we go around schools offices etc testing things that are pluged in, this includes projectors.

Now we do an operations test which means powering up the projector for 5-10 seconds, now this isn't following the correct turn on off procedures for projectors, but does this procedure only apply when the lamps are hot so the fan stays on to cool them down? Or is this infact potentially damaging the projecter. There is a debate going on at work to change this 5-10 secs power on, but only if it is damaging.

So OCUK can this damage the projector?

Yep, an incorrect turn off can and will cause a bulb to blow as will a 'hot start', ie turning the projector on again without letting it cool down properly first.

I know I killed a bulb in 600 hours with a few hot starts

MB

Soldato
OP
Matblack said:
Yep, an incorrect turn off can and will cause a bulb to blow as will a 'hot start', ie turning the projector on again without letting it cool down properly first.

I know I killed a bulb in 600 hours with a few hot starts

MB

Ok, well currently if the projector has been turned on then we dont do a 5 second power on test, if the projector has been off and cold then we do the operation test. Will the bulbs come on and get hot enough to cause damage in 5 secs.

Permabanned
you will damage the bulb lifetime doing this, they aren't like normal filament bulbs, they are arc lamps.

its better to look at bulb lifetime as the total number of strikes rather than the time they are on.

the most damage to bulbs is starting from cold.

Effectively running the bulb for a few seconds does as much damage as running it for hours.

as an example, if you were going to watch a couple of films with a few hours gap inbetween, leaving the projector switched on will extend the life rather than turing it off for a few hours inbetween.

In your case, how often are you testing them ? if its once a year it wont matter, if its every week then you have a problem.

Just make sure you follow the starup/shutdown procedure (normally means dont restart within 5 minutes of shutting down), have a look at the manual.

Soldato
OP
mcmad said:
In your case, how often are you testing them ? if its once a year it wont matter, if its every week then you have a problem.

Just make sure you follow the starup/shutdown procedure (normally means dont restart within 5 minutes of shutting down), have a look at the manual.

Yeah once a year, cheers for the advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom