Need Help!

Soldato
I've got 3.5k to spend on a motor, and I could do with it being a TD for economy.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of something like a Focus TDCI.

The Focus TDCI's any good?

I'm 17 btw.

Soldato
digitalwolf said:
I've got 3.5k to spend on a motor, and I could do with it being a TD for economy.

Any ideas?

I was thinking of something like a Focus TDCI.

The Focus TDCI's any good?

I'm 17 btw.

Yes they are pretty good. However the biggest problem you have is that you will not get anywhere near one for £3,500!

You may well get a Focus TD or TDDI. However these engines are not very good at all, and you'd be better off with a 1.6 Petrol focus.

If you're budget is £3,500, then a good diesel motor to look at is a Seat Toledo(/Leon). For your money, you should get a ~2000 1.9TDI 110 SE model.

Or you could look at something Peugeot/Citroen with a HDI engine in it.

There's been lots of threads recently about the pro's and con's of diesel vs. petrol and the economics of it, rather than dredge up the topic again have a search and see what you think, and how it applies to you.
The argument is basically; You have to spend more ££ to get a decent diesel compared to a petrol model, and you need to do a lot (20k+) of miles to make the in price difference up.

fireblade900 said:
I beleieve they are supposed to be quite good. What about a Pug 306TD?

For his budget get can get a 306 HDI, on about a V/X/W plate.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Scottland said:
Yes they are pretty good. However the biggest problem you have is that you will not get anywhere near one for £3,500!

You may well get a Focus TD or TDDI. However these engines are not very good at all, and you'd be better off with a 1.6 Petrol focus.

If you're budget is £3,500, then a good diesel motor to look at is a Seat Toledo(/Leon). For your money, you should get a ~2000 1.9TDI 110 SE model.

Or you could look at something Peugeot/Citroen with a HDI engine in it.

There's been lots of threads recently about the pro's and con's of diesel vs. petrol and the economics of it, rather than dredge up the topic again have a search and see what you think, and how it applies to you.
The argument is basically; You have to spend more ££ to get a decent diesel compared to a petrol model, and you need to do a lot (20k+) of miles to make the in price difference up.

For his budget get can get a 306 HDI, on about a V/X/W plate.

I'm basically after a reliable run around with decent MPG which looks decent and i'm not gonna get laughed at.

Remember it will be taken to college :D

Soldato
If your in college I doubt you do the milage to warrent limiting your choices to just diesels.

Having said that a Phase 3 306 HDi would be a very nice car to go for.

Man of Honour
digitalwolf said:
Why is it great?

Becuase it's cheap to insure, it's cheap to run, it's not too small, it's not 'too big' (god I hate saying that), it's not fast enough to get you into serious bother but it's not slow enough to drive you insane, and whilst it's hardly fully loaded it has the bare essentials of electric windows, PAS, a CD player, remote central locking and, if you get the climate pack which is a must, air conditioning.

It also looks 'cool' and is very reliable.

What reg,spec would I get on a 1.6 Focus for 3.5k?

1.6 Zetec with Climate Pack on a T or V plate.

Man of Honour
agw_01 said:
But why get a Focus 1.6, when you could get a Rover 220 for a fraction of the price. Leaving more money for insurance ;)

Becuase in everything except outright performance, something which a learner does not need, the Focus 1.6 is a considerably better car.

Back
Top Bottom