• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Loads of amazing cards but no new Games

Permabanned
Looking around at the recent card releases I can say that oh yes, the card market is well cool but then looking at the reviews I can say hang on, apart from BF2 and COD2 all the other games are now quite old, including FEAR, FARCRY and HL2.

Where are all of the new games for the PC (well FSP anyway), looks to be like the PS2 and Xbox 360 are far more lucrative to me.

Associate
Very good point. Think many like myself who have just spent out on a new card will spend initial time revisiting old games and re-play at settings and speed that could not before.

Although i've played through cod2 a couple times I think it will be one of first things i will test when get my new x1900xt-x.

Soldato
Has been pretty dead for quite sometime although feels like half life 2 came out yesterday it actually came out in November 2004 !

Farcry came out early 2004 also....

Heres hoping sin episodes and HL2 episodes and Crysis arrive 2006.

Associate
ajgoodfellow said:
Probably should be in the PC Games forum :)

Oblivion is out this month and it should be very good. Godfather is also out soon

I doubt that a 7900GTX or x1900xtx will be needed for high settings on Oblivion. going by reviews a single 7800GT can handle it comfortably. It does however look like a fantastic game :)

Zeph.

Associate
Zephyrus said:
I doubt that a 7900GTX or x1900xtx will be needed for high settings on Oblivion. going by reviews a single 7800GT can handle it comfortably. It does however look like a fantastic game :)

Zeph.

Not if morrowind was anything to go by, altho that way badly coded. ( still one of the greatest games ever )

Soldato
My next upgrade will probably be for ET: Quake Wars and UT2007, nothing interests me enough at the moment to move up from medium/low detail on my 6600GT.

Hopefully DX10 cards will also be out then to make upgrading worthwhile as aside from higher res/fps there isn't anything much that I feel I'm missing out on by not having a X1800XT or whatever.

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
Oblivion is out this month and it should be very good.

Indeed it should. I gave my PC a complete overhaul towards the end of last summer with Oblivion in mind (just a shamed it was delayed!!).

Still, my PC should still about be up for it and I cannot wait.

Wakinglimb said:
Duken Nukem Forever should be out soon ;)

Funniest thing I've read in ages!!

Permabanned
OP
its good to know that people agree with me. I mean a XBOX 360 with a HDMI based 26" decent LCD TV costs around £1200, the same as moderate PC.

Games are flying out thick and fast for that platform and PS3 around the corner. Total entertainment centre to boot.

PC is beginning to look like a bit of a gamers dead end save for on line play.

Man of Honour
There's always a lul in the gaming market everynow and then - look at last year, prior to October there were very few big releases. We then got flooded with a bunch of big-name titles such as FEAR, Quake4, Serious Sam 2, CoD2, Civ4, AOE3 etc etc within the space of a month or so.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest because there's a huge backlog of games I want to play. As examples in the last few months I've completed NOLF2, Pariah, C&C Renegade, ST:EF2 and Area51 amongst others, and I've also been playing Freespace2 and Splinter Cell.

Anyway it's always nice to see new cards coming out because it means downward pressure on prices of older/slower parts, making them potential upgrade paths for me. Currently running a 6800GT so I need something in the order of a 7900GT at least to make upgrading worthwhile.

Soldato
conundrum said:
Games are flying out thick and fast for that platform and PS3 around the corner. Total entertainment centre to boot.

Round the corner apart from the fact it was delayed until 2007.

And I got a high def 20inch LCD monitor plus a decent gaming PC for ~£1000, so it isnt that bad really.

Associate
PC gaming aint that much more expensive than consoles. You can keep your system mid spec for around £200 a year if you buy wisely second hand etc. That aint much different than paying £300 for a console that will devalue very quickly, plus by the time you change your console it will be worth next to nothing. With PC parts however you can sell them at any time to make some money for the next upgrade. Add to this the price of console games compared with PC games ( I personaly never pay more than £25 ).

The only draw back is the addiction to new and better hardware that we all develope the more time we spend on our PC. For those of you who are new to PC gaming stay away from 3D mark. It only results in a low bank balance and a lot of time reading forums instead of playing games.

Associate
I'd love to upgrade my gfx card, but at the moment there are no new games that diserve an upgrade... When UT2007 comes out, im sure a new gfx card will be one of the 1st upgrades i make for my pc... :)

Soldato
conundrum said:
its good to know that people agree with me. I mean a XBOX 360 with a HDMI based 26" decent LCD TV costs around £1200, the same as moderate PC.

PC is beginning to look like a bit of a gamers dead end save for on line play.

Or a 360 with a VGA lead so you can play in HD on your pc monitor costs you under £400 with a couple games.

I have both a 360 and the pc in my sig (along with two others) and I enjoy gaming on both although I agree that there seems to be a bit of a lull at the moment. I will get oblivion on the 360 although I think I will try and rent it first.

Back
Top Bottom