This doesnt look right!

Soldato
Ive been hearing my fan at top speed a lot lately so ive been watching the task manager.

cpuusage.jpg

I cant see anything out of the norm except of Opera whys it running that high when ive only got One window with Ocuk open? Ive done antivirus scans as well as loads of antispyware scans too.

Any ideas?

Thanks

m-m

Soldato
Your Commit Charge is well high and personaly i would say Opera has a big memory leak, also do you realy need 36 processes running? i only have 15 that with Taskmanager Firefox MSN and thunderbird running.

Possibly some spyware hidden in explorer.exe or a root kit maybe?

Soldato
OP
BigBoy said:
Your Commit Charge is well high and personaly i would say Opera has a big memory leak, also do you realy need 36 processes running? i only have 15 that with Taskmanager Firefox MSN and thunderbird running.

Possibly some spyware hidden in explorer.exe or a root kit maybe?

what do you suggest to do?

Soldato
Are all the running processes known to you? i mean is the software actualy running that it says is running? what the rundll32.exe process running?

SDMCP.exe what that for? if you dont know what someting is then do a google and the exe name and most of the time the first/second result will tell you what you need to know (i.e. safe or not)

What version of Opera are you running?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Caged said:
So you run WindowBlinds and wonder why your system has to work harder?

WB5 uses less resources than ever before and doesn't run in the BG once a style is applied. the engine is more resource free than XPs engine too.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
No it's not...

WindowBlinds runs as a Windows XP extension to the Themes feature, so it doesn't require any additional program to run on your PC to work. It also takes advantage of your graphics processor to display its interface eye candy, so that your CPU won't slow down. In fact, the company claims that repainting, resizing, and moving windows will be noticeably quicker as a result of this use of video acceleration for the UI. The Hyperpaint feature even lets you adjust the degree of hardware acceleration. Hyperpaint uses the extra video RAM on your video card to buffer windows, which makes moving them faster.

XPs VS painting engine uses the CPU to draw comlplex visual styles which is why MS don't have many fancy themes out for xp...just Luna variants which are plain and simple.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I've been explaining in other threads recently, it is a trade off between CPU time versus memory. You can free up one resource but at the expense of the other.

Also the way Windowblinds hooks into the operating system's windowing manager is non-standard and has its own performance hit/overhead associated with it.

If in doubt, wait for Vista. A properly hardware accelerated desktop, with desktop compositor and a 3D rendering library for applications (Avalon). All three built from the ground up.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Opera Forums have some clues as to how to sort out the opera memory leak. but as i said do you real need so much stuff running in the background? 15/34 of the processes have been started by your users not system :eek: way to many if you ask me. but thats just my opinion. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You're still wrong...WB5 has no performance hit, the only "hit" is when it's applying a new skin which can take10-15 seconds but after that everything is fine, memory? the main program isn't even running in the BG to use memory...

I used to have WB5 but the transparent borders on many skins whilst nice were more distracting on programs that don't suit such borders so I just use a plain visual style instead. WB5 was faster and everyopne that has used it agrees.

Permabanned
I use WB5 and its resource usage is negligible so that shouldn't be the OP's problem :) In fact as discussed in another thread recently which as I recall NathanE participated in, WB5 actually uses hardware acceleration to draw windows. (Yes, I realise it isn't anything like the same as how Vista will do it)

Man of Honour
I take it this is simply "Start up, open opera to OcUK" and then it's at 100mb? If I've been browsing for ages (Like, all day downloading smallish files) then my firefox.exe can be using in excess of 200mb.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
dirtydog said:
I use WB5 and its resource usage is negligible so that shouldn't be the OP's problem :) In fact as discussed in another thread recently which as I recall NathanE participated in, WB5 actually uses hardware acceleration to draw windows. (Yes, I realise it isn't anything like the same as how Vista will do it)

Actually vista does use the GFX card to render windows :p

Back
Top Bottom