Good News - Tesco 99ron roll-out

Associate
Cut a long story short, I work for Tesco and the company have decided to have a massive overhaul of the 99ron fuel.

1.Massive Sponsorship campaign with Rallys....ok no-one cars but....

2. If you local Tesco PFS has 97ron, it's being upgraded to a 99ron one within the next couple of months. First major roll-outs will start this coming Sunday night, with the North-East and North-West having the major initial roll-outs ( mostly due to the fact dan saff already have 99ron ).

Finally!

Caporegime
Woo, im in the NW, will probably switch to 99RON as my normal fuel (assuming the prices dont increase much over 97RON).

Have used it twice when down in Kent, but it wasn't enough to tell a difference over optimax.

Associate
OP
great advice said:
Any ideas how much its gunna cost? am i gunna see much difference between this and Optimax?

Locally usually around 4p more than the normal unleaded they sell at the pump, and usually 4p cheaper than the avarage Optimax price.

As far as difference re optimax there are some heated debates on palces like ScoobyNet and Pistonheads about this. Optimax is 98ron but it has added components that are spose to clean the engine etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
great advice said:
Any ideas how much its gunna cost? am i gunna see much difference between this and Optimax?

Not unless you get a remap to specifically take advantage of that 1 extra Ron point (or reset the ECU with a tank of 99 ron, so it can 'learn').

TBH I'm more interested in the calorific value of Tesco 99 ron. If it's higher than Optimax, then you should notice a difference straight away. I have found Texaco Super Unleaded 'feels' a bit better than Optimax, despite the slightly lower octane. I can only assume it has a higher calorific value.

I only use it if I have to though, my car was mapped on Opti and I get higher knock readings on SUL.

I haven't tried Tesco 99 ron yet though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wont be using it again. When Optimax had run out after that fuel depot I had to use Tesco 99 ron and my Pulsar didnt like it much. It made the idle very lumpy and also caused the odd occasional misfire.

As soon as I went back to Optimax these problems went away. My car is mapped for 98ron, but 99 is very close. I think you will find while the RON rating is higher on the Tesco fuel, the MON rating is actually better on the Optimax

Soldato
penski said:
My local Shell does unleaded at 82p. Score.

*n

Which/where is this station?
Last week I used Annitsford & Longbenton Shell and they were 89.9 & 95.9 for UL & Optimax iirc. Is your Shell garage doing Optimax for 88p/litre?

Permabanned
Redheugh - bog-standard unleaded.

Luckily my car doesn't need uber-RON fuel, nor am I pretentious enough to think that it does.

And if I want more octane, I'll add thinners.

*n

Soldato
DreXeL said:
Not unless you get a remap to specifically take advantage of that 1 extra Ron point (or reset the ECU with a tank of 99 ron, so it can 'learn').

TBH I'm more interested in the calorific value of Tesco 99 ron. If it's higher than Optimax, then you should notice a difference straight away. I have found Texaco Super Unleaded 'feels' a bit better than Optimax, despite the slightly lower octane. I can only assume it has a higher calorific value.

I only use it if I have to though, my car was mapped on Opti and I get higher knock readings on SUL.

I haven't tried Tesco 99 ron yet though.

Thanks, after reading round ill prolly stick to Optimax. not due anymore work on my car any time soon so a remap isnt on the cards either, so ill prolly just stick to what i know.

Soldato
Theres have been a few threads on Volvo forums about Tescos 99 ron and it seems that the T4 and T5 engines dont like running it. It causes all sorts of running problems on them, like the one I posted on these forums with mine a few months ago.

Optimax all the way for me in both cars.

Soldato
geiger said:
This is good news but I wish I owned a Subaru to make use of it otherwise I dont think it'll be much point for us serfs. I'll give it a go anyway.

I've ran my import WRX on Optimax since I got it and tried a tank of the normal stuff and tbh I can't say I noticed a difference. But for the price of an extra ~£2 per tank for Optimax I'd rather err on the side of caution/100 RON.

Back
Top Bottom