Free anti-virus & firewall app?

Soldato
I realise there's a very similar thread not a million miles from here but I'm specifically talking about free apps (unless I really need to fork out).

I've been using Norton Systemworks until recently and it's always done well for me. It updates itself, I've never had any nasties in and it didn't hog resources as others have complained about. My suscription has ended though and I'm not renewing it so I need a decent anti-virus app and firewall.

Is the Windows firewall any good on its own? I've enabled it for now as I've got nothing else but need something in its place asap if it's not up to the job.

As for the anti-virus, what would you recommed? I've heard good things about Avast?

Soldato
Windows Firewall is free, Windows Defender (anti-spyware) is free, I use NOD32 (anti-virus) but there are free ones available. AVG is an example I think.

There's roughly an anti-virus/firewall thread every week, most of them contain recommendations that are free :)

Man of Honour
As you are a tightwad, Windows XP Firewall, Avast Home and Windows Defender will do you, all very good, all very FREE! ;)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I have been using Avast and Windows Firewall for about a month. Free. :cool:

Minimal resource usage. Easy Instal. Usable Interface. Quick Scans. Seemingly good protection so far but odviously until i have run it for 6 months i am hardly in a position to judge.
I manually update Avast as i do all my progs but i do that daily as a habit.
If you are going to pay then i would say NOD32 but for free i am happy to recommend Avast and am currently using it myself.
Same with Windows firewall. Its a tad worrying not to have a visible firewall but then whats visible uses resources.
As a Firewall its easy to set up and causes me no lag whilst playing BF2 GTL or Rfactor.
Bare in mind that some AV/Firewall progs use drivers that conflict with drivers from the aforementioned games.
I can safely say that Avast and Windows firewall runs perfectly with those 3 games. Also COD2 and Source.
So for peeps playing those 5 games that want protection whilst playing with no lag or interference then Avast and Windows is the way to go.
And all for Free aswell so Thanks to those concerned. :cool:

Soldato
OP
Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated.

I know I'm a tightwad AJUK :p . I have a lot of outgoings at the moment and I figured why pay for something if you can have it for free?

I'll go for Avast then and stick with the XP Firewall. I don't play any games, but I do download using apps like BitTorrent and DC++, I should be ok shouldn't I?

Man of Honour
Big Chris said:
Thanks a lot for the info guys, much appreciated.

I know I'm a tightwad AJUK :p . I have a lot of outgoings at the moment and I figured why pay for something if you can have it for free?

I'll go for Avast then and stick with the XP Firewall. I don't play any games, but I do download using apps like BitTorrent and DC++, I should be ok shouldn't I?
There isn't a real need to pay for such protection, Avast has one of the best records in the industry for virus protection and is free to all home users. I have the paid for professional version (not much difference) but I use it on a business computer and that must be paid for.

You should make sure that you have some sort of spyware protection, although Avast is pretty good in that department as well. Windows Defender is fne but you could try the free version of Ewido that offers an on demand malware scan and is superb. :)

I run Windows Firewall, Avast Pro and Ewido Pro, coupled with Opera and I never get any trouble with viruses/virii or spyware of any kind.

Soldato
bledd. said:
ghostwall is a solid firewall, but you can't allow applications access, unless you forward the port.

excellent for a 98 machine as its got very low mem usage!

I always thought windows built in firewall was regarded as being crap. :confused:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nod does a free 30 day trial of nod32, its not free but i found it a lot better than AGV and avast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom